I Forge Iron

Near impossible to make a 1/2" frosty burner in the UK?

Simian

This is mainly a brain dump, apologies.

I have all of the steel pipe fittings; 4" 1/2" pipe, 1/2" x 3/4" tee. This is all in the UK standard BSP. 

I have 0.6mm x M5 mig tips (I can get tips with M6 or M8 thread, but M8 aren't available in 0.6mm)

I have several different 1/8" x 1/4" (BSP)pipe nipples. The bore on all of them is much too large - the mig tip falls straight through!

The smallest thread I can tap them to is an M8, which makes the wall too thin and breaks them (the nipple on the right).

I can only assume that you have MUCH beefier fittings stateside?

98648383-9532-466D-BC54-3A466DD2D025.thumb.jpeg.3251c50c323c2e59ab167e526df14c80.jpeg

1DF87FDC-D086-4CD0-A85D-4EC27D5A24C6.thumb.jpeg.6bdb40d1206134591a0267eec6f92b62.jpeg

I see that the brass reducer fittings have exterior thread. Find something to screw over that thread. Be sure to solder, silver braze, or glue the threads together, so that their strength is added to the external thread of the reducer, and continue blithely on :)

Thanks Mikey, sadly, the external threads are needed to thread into the tee body. Also, that's tapped at M8, and I can't find a 0.6mm mig tip in M8, only M6.

:(

I'm sure I'll find a workaround, but in the meantime, I've ordered a brand new 1/2" Amal burner... Whoops!

I would like to ask a question. 

First let me say that i do not even use propane but i did once. I was was going to build a Frosty T-burner just before i changed to coal, but i thought that the MIG tip was set in a hole drilled and tapped into the "T" fitting. So what is the brass fitting for? 

What is the British equivalent to schedule 80 pipe? Same OD but smaller ID (PDC to 1/8”) it is used in higher pressure applications like air compressors between the tank and pressure switch. 

Hot Rodders have used schedule 80 pipe for frame bosses for years (1/2, 3/8,  and 1/4” being the most common as standard bolts fit threw them with out slop). 

Thanks again for the help guys.

I have no idea what a Schedule 80 equivalent is - I've tried searching high pressure applications, but nothing quite matches what's needed. I'll keep searching for an alternative. I've not given up on the Frosty burner, but this arrived today. They're made about 30 miles up the road from me, and seeing how much I've spent on a bunch of different pipe nipples (plus postage) would probably have been cheaper to start with!

67215C5B-2D5F-4EC4-ADF3-BD496AE6BE2D.thumb.jpeg.75b4fc44752983e0d6b40bcfc0ceaae7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Strange times. 

Frostys T burner progress: I found a steel hydraulic fitting (1/4" x 1/8" BSP) with a tiny bore. Drilled and tapped to M5 for my 0.6mm mig tips. Will NOT light outside of the forge. 

My new forge for this burner is a WIP, but initially DID light in the forge  (under 200cu in)- looked very rich. Haven't shortened/tuned the mig tip yet as the forge isn't properly lined. 

Amal burner. also won't stay lit with the choke open more than a tiny bit. Haven't tried it in the forge and Amal actually suggest a flame retention tip 2x the diameter of the burner tube, so need to try it with a 1" end (1/2" burner).

I plod on.

Edit; both burners blow the flame off the end of the tip (have tried nothing on the end and 1/2" stainless threaded connector as pictured above). both roar famously if held over another flame. 

Good Morning,

I have 2 - 3/4" AMAL burners. They work very well, right out of the box. I haven't had to do any jet changes. I connected one burner to the generic Propane Forge in our Associations Blacksmith Shop (VIBA), I figured if it will survive the use there, it will be a keeper. It is still working, regardless what the minions do or how they adjust it!! Yes, I have many other burners and Forges.

Simian, it sounds like you have too much gas pressure, adjust your regulator down. If you don't have a regulator, get one.

Neil

Hi Neil.

The gas regulator I'm using is on my current forge. It'll adjust nicely from 1 PSI to well over 30 PSI. it currently runs 2 burners, but they're valved so that I can run a single. When running a single I can slowly turn it down to practically nothing. FWIW, It's the regulator that comes with the 'devils forge'.

A 0.6mm mig tip should work fine in a 1/2" T burner. I don't use them outside a forge so I don't know how I'd tune one outside one.

Under 200 cu/in should be dandy. If you have trouble tuning it once you get the forge finished give me a shout. Running a little rich is where I like to start a new burner that's easy to tune than running lean.

Frosty The Lucky.

Pics or it didn't happen. No pics of the forge yet, that's going to take a while.

One UK spec 1/2" frosty burner :)

The burner exits the side of the forge, so I have no concerns about heat on the flexi pipe. The only slight deviation is the washer under the 1/8" BSP end of the nipple against the tee body - the thread stops short of the hex section so needs spacing out a tiny bit.

CDEE807B-4C62-4FBD-8872-E55B19045E3B.thumb.jpeg.fd5de70fe40a245c016f8b952df2fafe.jpeg

8212F97B-CF03-4C1E-A07F-EBADAD985617.thumb.jpeg.0c449b86909144f2bfcee86650f57ab5.jpeg

The alignment is spot on;

D6F8E169-562B-467F-9064-C6B68C75C333.thumb.jpeg.178860e82763bf6d17738d745a07bc5f.jpeg

I hope that's Curmudgeon Approved?

You need to keep in mind that, whether a burner that doesn't work in open air, will work in a forge depends on that forge's internal area is sufficiently small enough; otherwise, there is no practical difference between inside the forge and out in the open air. Thus, you need to reserve all conclusions until after you finish lining your forge :)