I Forge Iron

Copper water pipe strips in 2" steel cable non Japanese style

Pigsticker

was thinking of starting by setting my welds on the two ends of  a bright wire steel cable 2' or so. If I set the end welds, can I loosen the cable and drop .5" x6" strips inside the cable around the core with any results. This would cook flat in a propane forge, the cable is clean and I've heard it has to be flipped regular. many thanks to responders and readers.

Would the copper ruin my new matrikote over kastolite forge interior more than steel? Does burning copper go poisonous?

Thanks

If you try to weld up the cable with copper in it, the steel will not weld up. The cumai thing it real popular right now, but you have to weld the steel layers first. Otherwise the copper will melt before the steel it at weld temperature and stop it from welding. Best you could end up with is the strands braised together. (Pretty advanced stuff…)

Keep it fun,

David

Thanks for quick response I was hoping it'd be easy. Thank you on behalf of my forge for keeping it copper free. That would work w nickel right? ( Dont have any nickel pipes I know of) Many thanks again, you saved a forge undue misery.

Pigus S 

No problem here with Japanese folks at all

Could I braise my cable ends with copper and have it hold?

With nickel it would probably be fine. There is a Bladesmith in our group who regularly forge welds billets of different steels with sheets of nickel mixed in. I’ve never asked him if there is any specific technique to it though.

Keep it fun,

David

Thanks for your replies. If you come up with him doing anything ,"different" let me know. Nickel seems easier to pretend with. I know the melting point of nickel is closer to steel than copper, I hope, so ok. I don't have surpluses of nickel yet but I'll get it. Is there any old enough nickel coins that I could use? Pre-1967 etc.

Oh well, no penny excitement this weekend.

Take care all,

Pigus S

2 hours ago, Pigsticker said:

Does anyone have reason to believe I could or could not not dump spoons of powder nickel in the cable when I open it for cleaning. Many thanks, I've never seen nickel powder in non advertisement form. Bet it's  $$$.

Tx

Does powder always have to go in canisters, of can you lightly coat weldable colored steel and retain it for design purposes.

Tx

1. Unless  you know who manufactured the cable is a mystery steel. That means you have to experiment with welding techniques and temperatures.

2. Copper melts at around 1975 degrees F. Which is probably well below your steels welding temp. Meaning it's probably going to be on the  forge  floor long before you reach the steels welding temp. 

3. Pure Nickle powder  is best played with while wearing a respirator. Improper handle can't resist in illness and lung damage.

4. Any powdered powder steel requires compression to become a solid. Just dumping it in between  strands is a waste. Hammering the cable to set the welds will probably drive most of the powder out with any flux you use. To achieve some contrast people have taken cable down to the large strands and woven nickle or nickel bearing steel wire into the strand and then reassembled the . cable bundle. Those that I've seen weren't impressive. AND as pointed out solid nickel touching 

Just my 2 cents  but what you're trying isn't a beginners task and the end product is often less than impressive. 

But, good luck!

Velegski- really appreciate the tips. Especially the nickle breathing thing. That was no where near my radar and I even go the mouth guard piece so I'm thrilled to have somewhere else to wear it. In your answer you covered my next 4 questions hoping to validate the attempt. Bully.

S sells- I'm still looking for the guy in a safari suit to do free welding on my cable ends you sent me out for in my last post. ( Remember the boonie hat? Socks and sandals...) Plus, theres plenty of people to do the basics. All I need is your belief that I can really do it. I'd take that any day over advice. I've got it don't I, your blessings?? Don't leave me hanging....

Tx 

No nickel or pennies, some art for everyman, especially NOT the lay man

Pigus s

Thanks for help

Btw nickle melts at 4800

• 2 weeks later...

Beside the compression needed for working powder metal the other thing that is required is that powdered metal exposed to the atmosphere at high temperatures will oxides rapidly, even nickel, so you won't have benefit of metal powder but rather oxide contamination. This is one reason why powder is used in cans. The atmosphere in the can can be controlled to prevent this oxidation.

Steve-Nickel melts at about 2650 F. Also, according to R. F. Tylecote on page 220 of Solid Phase Welding of Metals, pure nickel can be welded at room temperature but a deformation of 89% is required. He cites a paper by A. B. Sowter published in 1948 in Materials and Methods, vol 28 pg 60-63 for this infomation.

Thanks for the thorough info. I was hoping I'd found a famous but forgotten medieval technique. I'm not using canisters ( no welding gun) just cable so I'm on the wrong side of this. Do I need to hit the 2650 if I can melt the steel "to" the nickel. Can't I make the steel sticky enough alone? Also, I know sparking is the steel burning. Does it significantly degrade the steel to achieve this effect. If I always start welding on first spark is that too so late? Lastly, what's the best way to fill a green bean sized hole in a 1/3" billet and when do I fill it?. And finally, what will identify burned steel? Is there a thing to look for before working the material.

Many thanks,

Pig S. of Topsail 

Steve- I understand. An interesting thing about molybdenum is that because it has such a high melting temperature it can be used as a forging die material for situations in which you want the dies themselves to be heated to the same temperature as the work piece. This method is used for some areospace forgings made by the closed die method. However, molybdenum oxidizes extremely rapidly at these temperatures so these forging setups are done in a vacuum.

Pigsticker- You can get steel and nickel hot enough to weld, which can actually be done at a temperature lower than the melting temperature, but that will only happen if the materials being joined are free of any oxide coating. Oxidation of metals happens very rapidly at forging temperatures so you have to find a method to prevent this if you want to have effective forge welding, no matter what metals are being used. Quite often some type of flux, usually borox based is used. In other cases the billet is sealed in a container or by some other method to keep oxygen out of the system. Burning steel is really the carbon in the steel reacting so rapidly with the oxygen in the environment that it combusts. When this happens there is often also melting of the steel. There really is no way to convert burned steel back to good steel but if burned material is just on the surface or on one end it can be cut or ground off and the remainder of the billet can still be used. Ideally you'd start welding just before sparking starts but if you get just a little bit of sparking you likely can steel proceed with good results. As far as identifying burned steel I suggest you get a scrap and burn it on purpose so you have an example to use for comparison. Filling a hole in a billet is not a simple task and I'm not sure how to advise you on that point.

Many thanks for all the answers to my questions. And you spotted the 2100 degree misquote or misunderstanding.  Everyone can go back to normal now. I always forget that flux is a coating as well as bonding "assistant"., I guess by preventing oxidation. Trying to learn on cable has me at a very different way of thinking. Between my context and limited metal/forgingucation and unwavering optimism this stuff is getting fun. Even had fake news!

Pig S. Ticker

Happy new year all

Does anyone have new year advice on loading 3' of cable into a 9" forge to weld while  holding by hand. Like pushing 18" in one side and pulling last 18" from the back of forge. I can get to both sides of forge. It's on the floor now to fight extreme warpage. Really want to hold the greasy cable by hand so I can spin it and don't wanna burn my hand glovelessly. 

Many thanks and happy new year.

You should be able to hold the cable by hand if it is more than about 16" away from the hot portion.   Iron is not that good of a heat conductor.  That is why you can fry an egg in a cast iron frying pan and still be able to hold the handle without discomfort.  I'd try to degrease the cable before I put it in the forge to give me a better grip, avoid setting the grease on fire, and to keep things cleaner.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."