I Forge Iron

First projects

Arkans

Next Weeknd I think I am going to try I think to make a blacksmiths knife out of some of my sucker rod I have.  Just for the fun of it... might have to find some more coal though... I have burned through almost 5 gallons of coal, but i am impressed on how long it lasted, I still have some left, and basically it lasted 5 full days of forging, and I do have some left but at the bottom of the bucket.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice job on the tongs Arkans! I will second Twisted's recommendation for the blanks from Ken's Custom Iron. Nothing beats the satisfaction of making your own but when you need a pair for something and you don't want to take another weekend making tongs instead of doing the project, then the blanks are a great cheap shortcut! Still require minimal forging and setting the rivet but that would take a short amount of time compared to making them from scratch. Or if you don't need cheap and still want the shortcut - there are plenty of people out there on etsy and in blacksmithing groups that will sell them - usually in the $30-40 range. 

I have one pair made from flat bar - using the blueprint on this site for EZ Tongs - and those were indeed VERY easy and successful. My second pair was made from the Ken's Custom Iron blank and again, successful. But so far I haven't been able to get a successful pair of tongs with a boss hinge like yours. Of course, I overcomplicated things and went for the "Ultimate Tongs" as posted by Brian Brazeal on this forum instead of something easier like Brian's basic tongs - but eh - that's what I do, lol 

I currently have 2 pair of Ultimate Tongs with busted rivet holes because the boss was too thin/narrow. I'm gonna try a basic pair of scrolling tongs next.

I do need some more punches and chisels, and do plan on making more of them.  i just have never shaped a knife before, and honestly just want to see what i can do in shaping, i have a lot of sucker rod so since i am sure this is going to be a learning experience i just plan on using what i have on hand.  when i get serious about making a knife or two i am going to buy some flat bar stock to work with...  right now, i am really just trying to learn how the steel moves under the hammer, and how to shape it the way i want.