I Forge Iron

Japanese axe maker video

Interesting process from a smith doing hand-forged production work with an unusual wrapped construction. I don’t know that I’ve seen anyone build up the poll by welding in a piece where the back of the eye will be, instead of drawing down the sides of the blank and leaving extra thickness at the back. 

(There’s no narration, so feel free to mute the repetitive incidental music.)

For once I didn't mind the music, it was neither loud nor distracting.

I wonder what he was using for flux, he wasn't bashful spooning it on. I've never seen the eye and pol made that way either. Note how lightly he struck setting the welds.

Another excellent video link. Thanks John!

Frosty The Lucky.

You’re welcome!

There was a couple of other interesting techniques that stood out to me. The wooden backing board Mr. Mizuno uses while grinding reminded me of the backing sticks formerly used by knifegrinders in Sheffield, and I liked the metal strap that went inside the eye to hold the axe securely. Also, the gizmo behind and to the left of the anvil had me a bit puzzled at first, but then I realized that it’s a pair of thick wire wheels that he uses to clean off the scale before he goes to the power hammer (at 3:13) and to clean the surfaces before heat treatment (at 6:45). Fast and effective; very clever. 

I liked the band or clip securing the axe head to the backing board too I wish I'd gotten a better look. Another thing I'm wondering about is how many times those wire wheels have grabbed an axe head (or whatever) and fired it out the back side. I couldn't see it clearly, AGAIN but I think there are two wheels running together to clean both sides at once. 

I've been a big fan of running wire wheels and buffers rotating upwards on the operator's side who uses the top of the wheel so broken wires and anything getting snagged is thrown away and down. Simply hanging a tarp behind the wheel stops flying objects with zero bounce. I about lost it the first time I saw a wire wheel set up that way, then Rich demonstrated by deliberately pushing a piece's leading edge into the wheel and it hit the piece of carpet hanging behind it and fell to the floor.

Frosty The Lucky.

There's a shield of some variety that appears to direct sparks and debris downward to a tray on the floor. There's a good view at the 2:04 mark. Also, note the tongs he uses at 6:45 to grab the axe by the eye for quenching. He doesn't use them when he cleans the axe before taking them to the power hammer, but the way that they hook inside the eye would certainly help keep them from getting sucked into the brushes.

There's a decent view of the double wheel setup at 2:59, where you can see a bit of the top brush and a decent amount of the bottom. At 0:42, there's a good view of the pulleys driving the brushes, possibly off a lineshaft. 

29 minutes ago, Frosty said:

wire wheels and buffers rotating upwards on the operator's side who uses the top of the wheel

I'm going to have to think about giving that a try, especially set up so that the wheel is about at the level of the operator's sternum. 

The glow from the axe head lights the wheels and guard pretty well at 3:16 on my screen. The 6:45 shows how the wheel guards are designed to deflect thrown objects down at the floor. 

The reverse direction wire wheel should be low, Rich's was mounted below the bench top by maybe 6".  The higher the mount the higher the trajectory thrown pieces will take.

The dual wheels in the above video will throw things straight like a pitching machine.

The tongs remind me a little of Brian Brazeals hammer tongs. I think I like these better, especially for wire brushing. Of course if the wheels grabbed they'd throw the tongs too.:o 

Frosty The Lucky.