I Forge Iron

Repairing an anvil

1 minute ago, Rgpracer said:

Is the Anvil worth it guys?

Just fine for your first steps in learning to forge. If I were in your situation, I’d not bother with attempting the repair, since there are plenty of other things that you can spend the money on. 

Vulcan anvils are cast iron with a high carbon steel face. If I understand correctly, the face is brought to forge welding temperature placed in the mold, mold is closed and the molten cast iron is pored into the mold.

Keep it fun,

David

It's pretty rough but there are usable areas on it near the step and around the hardy and pritchel holes.  If it were mine I'd use it as it is until something better came along.  I don't think that even if you used proper technique and materials that it would really be worth it to try to repair it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Cost, sheesh but thats a question that only you can answer.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:56 AM, Rgpracer said:

small "hobby" home projects

Realize that you are talking to a guy who has had a "case of the willys" for as long as I've been a full time smith.  Since when does something as mundane as cost be an issue with our "hobbies"?  

Edit, I would stick to stick and not mess with a really good system of repair, but I haven't been a welder for a long time so thats just me. There is another manufacturer of the rod that matches the specs and is cheaper, but I don't remember the company. I have it somewhere in saved files.

Yup, thats it.

I remember that article, but I dont remember the name for the other rod. That doesn't sound familiar. It seems that the specs for both rods were listed. I saved it on a notepad program for a long ago phone. I still have it, and will post it here. I think I may have posted it here but I have no idea how to find it. The important thing is to shop around for a comprobal rod and do a price check.

Theres a lot of reasons to reface an anvil. The cost is relative to the wear and no matter what, when done, you have for all practical purposes have a new anvil. Back in the day a smith either made, traded, or bought an anvil and when the time came he removed the old face and a team welded on another. When done, they could get another 100 years out of it. Today, one person with about 4 or so hours can do this repair, and have a restored anvil that will go another 100. No matter what, when looked at that way, a modern repair is cheap at twice the price. Not to mention the personal satisfaction with the results with every blow you make.

• 3 weeks later...