I Forge Iron

It followed me home

For that implement wheel I use one to hold my forging pliers, (different set from the ones NOT supposed to get hot!)  I use the old steel/iron wheelbarrow wheels as tong racks---4 so far sorted by "commonly used" (by the forge); flat bits, round bits and oddballs.

KIMG0151.thumb.JPG.247ff30e3b26a2f54a0cdf2bf153531f.JPG

KIMG0152.thumb.JPG.f02a10f9c194edc0067fbe1f97697ed4.JPG

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had a customer stop by this afternoon with a post vise, it’s in perfect shape! 

i gave $100 for it, paid a little more for it then I normally do for a small one but it was hard to pass up one in near new condition, 

jaws don’t have any chisel an hammer marks, screw an box looked perfect, it’s not all bent an twisted like the little ones I find normally are, it don’t look like it’s hardly been used at all, so I caved an bought it,

it’s pretty light an has 3-3/4” jaws, it’s gonna be my new travel vise! 0838773B-90D5-40B7-A15B-F54DAE535AA6.thumb.jpeg.4778ec629e38a381b6d6f17a92bf7f9a.jpeg

"for the two level effect"? 

I have mine bolted to a piece of street sign post---galvanized hollow sq tube with holes on all sides spaced evenly.  I find pieces at the scrap yard all the time as they tend to get run over a lot out here.

You can see some of the smallest tongs I have found over the years hanging on it.  One grace note is to mount it high enough that you naturally grab the handles and not the hot end(s)!

You can see the run of the tubing by the screwdriver handles, the bits going through the regularly spaced holes.

Today: 119# from the scrapyard mainly a bunch of 3/4" cold rolled sq steel bars in pieces 5' and under, down to around 6".  Also two hay rake arched tines, 2 plastic milk crates----I put my BBQ propane bottles in them so they pack and ride easier in the truck, 2 sockets, a handful of SDST screws, a horseshoe, etc.  Got home, ate a late lunch and watched the rain fall; made it just in time!

Nice vise Billy, I sure wish Alaska had a small % of the available smithing tools and equipment available to you. Then again I get to live here. :wub:

Once I get things sorted I'll post some of the pics that followed us home. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Another trip to the scrapyard, nice 6"? disk cut from 1"? steel to make into a bending form, lug wrench, 110V 20A outlet, lifting ring and about 140# of 3/4" cold rolled sq stock in various lengths under 5'.  144# in all, 20 USCents a pound.

Not getting bit by the junkyard dog again---priceless!

Good idea, I'll pass the word to the club and see what's on the wish lists. Lots of the guys buy new rather than deal with the frustration of hunting used/old  equipment. Guys are forging their own hammers, top and bottom tools no problem. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Then there was the time that someone near me posted a notice  FB Marketplace for a barn sale the next day, and one of the photos showed a beautiful 275 lb anvil (a Columbian, I think). I called them ten minutes after the posting went live, and they already had five people on the waitlist.

My favorite flea market was in a Drive In Movie site that was still active; *everything* had to be loaded back up at the end of the flea market so they could show a movie that night.  No permanent stands for dealers to sit on stuff forever.

Of course I got a lot of good stuff out of the dumpsters at the end of the day---including stuff I had made an offer on earlier and was refused!  (Also a US dollar coin once---who throws away *money*?)

Someone who spent a couple hours looking through their flea market boxes trying to fine it that night?

I REALLY miss flea market and swap meets worthy of the name, I haven't been to a decent one since moving here. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.