• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just happened to be in the electrical supply store asking about a 20 amp breaker for the shop when before you could say "NO WAY" two 36 inch diameter and one 48 inch diameter wooden spools jumped into the back of my truck !!

Being as how they roll around a lot, I had to use 12 wooden pallets to lock them into place so they would not jump out before I got them home.

Well, that solves the problem of what to do for a work table beside the forge (grin). Couple of pallets on the floor to raise the spool to the right height, put the spool on top, and you have a table with a shelf underneath.

The reason for 3 spools, it is spring and the wife will surely want an outside table to work on, a place to put seeds into starter trays etc. You gotta plan ahead.

Glenn

If you remove the ends of those spools, they also make excellent bases for top heavy equipment. See the attached pic of my 20 inch bandsaw. There is also one in the background of the pic mounted to an old metal table frame as a workbench top to with my Beverly shear attached.

5553.attach

It was a major forging shop. They supposedly had some heavy drop forges and used the 52100 for dies etc. The white tag on the end of the bar is the orig mfg sticker with the atsme and 52100 printed on it. I about messed my pants when i saw the bin of this stuff. The bigger stuff was marked and I am getting some of the smaller stuff (4.5") tested. It hardened up just fine. Just want to make sure what it is.

Slabbing in process.

5560.attach

5 donuts followed me home this evening.

The two outside ones on the top row are 15 inches diameter and 3/4 inches thick, the middle one 13 inches diameter. The bottom row about 15 inches or so diameter.

They used to be fly wheels from truck engines in a former life, but now they are waiting for their purpose in life to be redefined and renamed. (grin)

Glen might make tooling for a flypress, I need to press a plate out of sheet Ti and something like that with the inner lip rounded might maker the bottom die. The top die would need to be a flat piece with a raised center circle the thickness of the lower die minus the thickness of the Ti---with a relieved outer lip...

This is to help finish off my Ti eating set for the SWABA meeting potlucks; I've forged the knife, forl, spoon and now I need to do the plate and the cup.

and I am sad to say that you generally make me ashamed of myself. I scrap part time and collect full time. This along with running a restaurant/bar fulltime finds lots of tools and misc iron in my shop and yard at all times. There were very few items on the last 75 pages that are not laying around rusting at my home. I am unable to scrap anything that I personally think has potential and thus the yard full. Google "185 pinetree rd 98596" on google earth and you will see some of what I am talking about. Good luck to all on the hunt.

Chuck,

Some folks have all the luck. You have a steel mecca next door. What some of us wouldn't give for a slice of that steel. Of course, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! We expect to see pix of those blades form that fantastic score!!!

Slobbering, whimpering and shouting...GO CHUCK GO! -Phil

PS - Hey, maybe you could donate a few of those slices up on the auction? You know, stuff that would fit in a flat rate priority mail box. Maybe some 5160 too, or a basic pattern-weld selection? I'd bid on stuff like that. It's for good causes: IFI's, fellow craftsmen, etc. Just an idea, hint, hint, wink, wink.