I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Well sounds like I need to get a good mask before I start messing with this thing so I don't inhale chrome fumes. I'm thinking that I'll give it a go with the MIG anyhow and if that isn't sufficient, I can always grind off the weak welds and rent the stick welder.

As I basically have 0 experience with any type of welding, I'll probably practice on some basic welding small pieces together before jumping into the treadle project. Along with the MIG welder I ordered, I also ordered a DVD on how to weld so hopefully that will give me a few more basics that I "think" I know about now. I'll be sure to ask here for more advice.

Thanks again.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MIG welding on this shaft is NOT the way to go. These things do not bend, hence the pivit points on both ends. 1/2 day rental on a machine is cheap, will save at least time in the long run if not saving an injury.

FrongPondForge, I'm not being rude, just honest and blunt. But it seems you should get just a little more experience in living, let alone in welding or other matters that can cause a lot of damage to self and/or property before you start giving advice. Some of what you said is correct. 3/8" should be the MAX for MIG welding, and your machine will do that. MIG is a very desceiving process, what looks good to the eye and even an X-Ray can often be a bad weld when put to a bend test. X-Ray is the EASIEST test to pass in welding. (no matter the process) It does not show non-fussion or 'cold lap'. The material Larrynjr is wanting to use has very tight parameters that should be strictly followed if you are to weld it. AND, he openly states he has Zero experience in welding. Know what you are working with before you say, "OH, I'll just MIG that up." could bite you in the backside someday. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE my MillerMatic 250 and use it when I can. (I use a 454 Miller with dual guns ,one for MIG one for FCAW, at work...sweet machine ;) ) But, after nearly 35 yrs experience, I know when and when not to pick it up. This case, IMHO, is a "when not".

A plain dust mask will protect you well enough grinding.

If you don't know how to weld do NOT use the mig to weld this up.

Migs are known as the lawyer's welder for a reason. Unless you know how to control the thing they have a positive talent for cold lapping one side of the join while making a beautiful LOOKING bead.

While I don't agree that a mig should not be used for structural welds I've been welding for more than 40 years and am pretty familiar with heavy welds with mig.

Using a mig on heavy section welds as a learning exercise is a bad idea. Frankly welding heavy section is not a beginner project with any type welder.

Renting a stick welder for a day is going to give you a much safer hammer. Best bet is taking a welding class at the local college extension service or trade school.

I'm not trying to put you down or discourage you from the project Larry. I just don't have so many friends I can stand by and see one put him/erself at risk without at least saying something.

Frosty

I just saw a NEW Lincoln buzz box at Home Depot for $265. That investment and a welding class should last most folks a life time of weekend welding. Welding on not critical materials is fine if the weld breaks, but when it gets serious, so should the welding. If your outside of your area of skill and expertise, get assistance, or even pay to have it done.

Sorry,
I forgot the FatherofFrogPond or FrogPond's Father or FrogPondsDad that I usually append onto my posts. Tom (son, and the real FrogPond) has too much homework to be reading this. I keep him up to speed, and occasionally post.

When I read this, "But it seems you should get just a little more experience in living, let alone in welding or other matters that can cause a lot of damage to self and/or property before you start giving advice.", I had to chuckle. That statement would have probably ticked-off my 15yo son, but for me it was funny. If you knew me, you would know just how funny that sounded. Sorry for the confusion (at least I hope you were confused).

This is what I was envisioning
anvil6.jpg
I figured he may have been able to pull that off with a MIG welder and average skills. Dealing with pre-heat and crack prevention when welding alloy steels is probably more paramount than the capacity of his welder. At least when one of the members to be joined is 1/8" angle iron. Maybe it is me that is confused.
Be careful, MIKE

(FrogPondsDad)

Mike, aka FrogPondForge's dad, I meant no offense to your son. (or you) It's just that if someone does a search on this subject of welding a shaft of this type they will think that you can weld any time with MIG on said material. That was my main concern and reason for posting.

You and your son are 2 lucky people, both enjoying the same hobbies. ENJOY and treasure the time, it goes fast! alas, too fast... Our 2 sons and I trained in TaeKwonDo together, the oldest and I tested for our 1st Degree Black Belts together. He got interested in track but I stayed in several more yrs til I got my 2nd Degree. Wouldn't trade that time with the boys for anything. The oldest has his own business now in N.M. and the younger works for him learning the trade. He, too, plans to start his own business but after he and his wife move back to Texas, which we hope is not in the too distant future.

BTW, ya thought about registering under your own name/handle? ;) (and yes, I am easly confused sometimes....)

i defiantly agree with Frosty and Glenn, while its fun to get a little mig welder and play on the weekends, when your using tools that move and swing large parts you have to really know what your doing. i work at a job shop repairing other peoples broken mistakes. some of them have killed people because of sloppy welding.(safety bars around a large open floor mixer) the bars were not put in place right and the welds broke too.

No photos I'm afraid, but 2 recent finds - first was a 1.5kW 3ph. motor that my boss gave me. So that's the power for my to-be-built-one-day grinder sorted, I just need an inverter.
The other was a Mitutoyu 200mm dial caliper given to me by one of the guys where I was working recently. :D
They're moving & a TON of stuff is going in the skip. Mostly no use for blacksmiths, but they know of my interest. ;)

I'm not trying to put you down or discourage you from the project Larry. I just don't have so many friends I can stand by and see one put him/erself at risk without at least saying something.
Frosty

No Worries Frosty, I don't feel discourages or put down. I appreciate having people that are interested in my safety!

I didn't realize that it would be this much of a project. For short term I'll see if I can get one of the guys in the bus garage to use their stick welder to do that part of the project.

Long term I will continue to try to find any of the local community college classes or vocation schools that even offer welding. It's been a few years since I looked but back when I was first starting to blacksmith I tried to locate a welding class, even asked the Oxarc welding supply people about classes and no one could help.

The Ag teacher here had a notice up last year for a 2 week long course in the summer offered by another school district. Maybe he can hook me up.

Thanks to all for your guidance and suggestions.

This week was a good one. All this stuff followed me home.

1) New Clarke Bandsaw.
clarkebandsaw.JPG
2) Old Buffalo Drill Press. Needs some TLC.
buffalodrill.JPG
3) Canedy Otto Forge Blower. Will have to fab some new legs for the stand.
canedyblower.jpg
4) A little Westcraft bench mandrel setup.
westcraftgrinder.JPG

Everything but the saw came from an auction Friday Night. I Love Auctions!!

-aaron c.

Photo1
This is the first Camel Back Drill I purchased in the late 60's, I used it in my wood shop for years.

Photo2
This is how I modified the feed levers. The previous owner had cut the top shaft and put a transmission in it. It was so loose it wore the main gears out, So I replaced them with the Axle gear and a spider gear from an old rear axle.

5533.attach

5534.attach

A leg vise that I bought from Sid at the Little Giant hammer in. Screw box was siezed and there was no mounting hardware. I got the screw loose and tightened up the rivet for the side plates on the lower pivot. The sad part is that I spent more on the stand than the vise.

5540.attach

Thanks Jr. for the photos. Those pics will be helpful to me as I get mine back in working condition.

I worked on the drill today some, mostly cleaning and removing crud/rust/cobwebs. It's in suprisingly good shape, will be a good project for me.

-aaron c.