I Forge Iron

Tooln's Forge Build

Tooln

My wool came today.  2, 1" layers cut.  Plan a 1" fire brick for the floor and other 1" layer of wool.  Fire brick and riditizer won't be here till end of the week.  I'll relocate burners after installing floor and last layer of wool.

20220705_140938.thumb.jpg.d1fb9bd106c89fe4d50c5ba1bca43fc9.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to fire it up.  Still waiting on some burner parts.  Splitting time between the forge build and my granddaughters first knife.  Here's a pic fresh from heat treat and tempering.20220709_170603.thumb.jpg.1d340662ae73249a979864233ae5a06d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long slow process but I'm getting there.  Finally got all the burner parts and fired it up for the first time last night.  I only used the bell reducer for this and don't plan it for the forge.  No tuning has been done yet but so far so good.  Thank for all the suggestion from you guys. 

https://youtu.be/7AJR0o5Dy8k

20220729_190711.thumb.jpg.3b29164d8aca30f5e8a8a0e4ffb89f29.jpg

Well the forge build was put on hold for a while as another build came in.  I had an order for a knife and it took priority over all.  Here's the finished knife. It has a white oak handle, the blade is 1095 that has been stone washed, it also has the first mosaic pin that I have ever made.  The gal who order it is big time into horse's so I made a display stand from an horse shoe. 

20220729_190634.thumb.jpg.6e5fda03549f9afec0bdde06ab8f333b.jpg

I soak the blade in ferric chloride for about 15-20 minutes.  I then tumble it in a container I made with stones for about 15 minutes or till I get the desired look.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 9:36 PM, Frosty said:

Building gas forges too large is sort of a modern blacksmith tradition I think almost all of us did it, some of us <sigh> still do.

There surely must be a pill or something we can take to fix that, yes? I try to lay very still on the couch until that urge goes away.

50 minutes ago, Tooln said:

Yea it's big, next one I'll fix all the mistakes I made on this one.

Where have I heard THAT one before Mike?!? :rolleyes:

Tooln: You are sooooo going to fit in here. Every time I build a forge I "fix" or "Improve" it over the last one and shortly after putting it to work find the things I missed or didn't think of. Been doing that more than 40 years, since the first successful T burner. 

What kind of doors are you putting on it?

Frosty The Lucky.

Haven't had time to use the new forge yet but will very soon.  I have a guy who wants me to make him a big bowie knife.  Heat treating wouldn't have been possible in my little firebrick forge.  Been thinking about the next build.  I like the idea of a ribbon burner but doubt I'll go that route as I want to stay naturally aspirated.