I Forge Iron

Gas regulator with LH threads?

ihavea4

I've been banging my head against a wall for quite a while now, trying to figure out how to hook up my propane tank to my Frosty T Burner, and still haven't been able to figure it out. I bought a Harris propane regulator, but the output has left handed threads, and I can't for the life of me find an adapter or any other way to connect that to a propane hose or other brass fittings listed on Frosty's instructions. Did I get the wrong kind of regulator? I saw some people mention that you shouldn't use a normal BBQ regulator since it may not give enough pressure, and I figured an industry standard one should be more than adequate, but now I'm stuck. I'm probably making this way harder than it needs to be, but could anyone shine a little light on this for me? Let me know if you need more details about anything in my setup, I don't know enough about all this to even know what's relevant...

Over here in the UK, flammable gas fittings tend to be Left-handed, where inert and Oxidizing gas fittings tend to be Right-handed. I think what you are looking for is what we over here would call a "LH nut and hosetail", usually available from a local welding supplier. The hosetail needs to suit the bore of your hose and you'll need suitable clips. I use O-clips here. I'm guessing there will be something similar over there? If you have a RH nut and hosetail already, you'll probably just need the LH nut and clips.

Propane regulators have LH threads to connect to the tank, the output is typically 3/8" FPT on the output side. Have you removed the plug and checked? Most propane regs have two output ports, I use one with a nipple for the hose and the other for a gage. 

I highly recommend you NOT put a gage on your system until you learn how to tune it and adjust the flame output. Gages only real use on a home built forge are to help adjust for repeat temperatures without having to wait for the forge to stabilize at the new temp. 

The easy way to  make up your regulator to your hose is to ask at a propane supply outlet, they'll have everything and more on the shelf. Hopefully what with covid shortages and all.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, timgunn1962 said:

Over here in the UK, flammable gas fittings tend to be Left-handed, where inert and Oxidizing gas fittings tend to be Right-handed. I think what you are looking for is what we over here would call a "LH nut and hosetail", usually available from a local welding supplier. The hosetail needs to suit the bore of your hose and you'll need suitable clips. I use O-clips here. I'm guessing there will be something similar over there? If you have a RH nut and hosetail already, you'll probably just need the LH nut and clips.

I think that's called a barbed fitting? Where you shove the hose onto it and then use clamps or o rings to tighten it onto the fitting? That might work actually, I'll look into that. Thanks!

Frosty, I must have bought a different type of regulator then, mine has the level and pressure gauges built in, and the only output available is 9/16 LH threads. I'm going to school for welding right now, and this is the same kind we use for our oxyfuel torch setups. I thought that would work. I might try to use a barbed fitting and connect a hose to each end that way, that seems like my best option for now.

Yes, it is a threaded to barbed hose fitting. Also, I highly recommend worm gear hose clamps; they can save you a world of aggravation, and are now so standard for hose fittings that they are sold with gas hoses on Amazon.com; usually without further charge, and without the hassle of trying to guess what size fitting goes with what size hose :)

Left-hand 9/16 LH threads are standard for fuel fittings, and you can by the proper connector fitting at welding supply stores. You can also buy male Pipe Thread x 9/16" Left Hand male Thread Fittings there, to connect to propane appliance hoses.

I had to re-read your OP. You bought a Harris propane regulator, that's for an oxy propane torch, and not very suitable for a propane forge. ALL the fuel lines are left hand threads so you can NOT accidentally hook the fuel line to the oxy tank and blow yourself to kingdom come!

Can you return this regulator, maybe get an allowance on an exchange for a suitable 0-30 psi high pressure propane regulator.  About $40, online at Propane Warehouse. The open port goes to the forge, the brass plug is for the gage. Get the one with the tank fitting!

Frosty The Lucky.

Adjustable Propane Regulator 1-30 psi

This is a single stage, Harris propane regulator. I don't know why it has so many gages, propane remains the same pressure until the liquid is gone or begins to slush up. The propane regulator on my All States oxy propane torch is a flow meter the output pressure maxes about 3ounces/sq/in. Harris made the All state torch and bought the the manufacturing rights when the All states patent was relinquished. They have changed things and I don't know what or why.  What I do know is the below regulator won't deliver nearly enough propane unless you're making really small burners and probably not more than one. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Harris Model 25GX Single Stage Propane Regulator CGA 510P (Male) 25GX-50-510P - 3000450

Huh. I never knew there would be this many things to stump me on my "simple" quest of building a diy forge and burner. Thanks for the help and explanations, I'll get my regulator swapped out and keep plugging along!

You're welcome, it's my pleasure helping folks addiction to blacksmithing along. Everything is confusing when you're just breaking in and it isn't much fun trying to figure these things out on your own. Been there done that.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning ihavea4,

ALL FUEL Fittings are left hand thread. You will see there is a small nick at the corners of the brass Hex, this denotes left hand thread!! This is so you don't connect Oxygen hose to Acetylene or Propane!! Your fitting supplier will/should have an adapter to go from left hand thread to pipe thread (not H--- D----).

Don't make it difficult, Fuel should always be left hand thread!!

Neil

Good Morning,

Yes, sometimes Propane is right hand thread. I like to maintain the rule, in my business and in our Blacksmith Association Shop. Left is Fuel. No variable. I have many people coming in the Shops who are not knowledgeable. Left is Fuel. Anyone can make Fuel, right hand thread. That is 'THEIR' perogative.

Neil

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

I don't know why it has so many gages, propane remains the same pressure until the liquid is gone or begins to slush up.

I personally like having the tank pressure gauge. When I hear something out of the ordinary from my burner I can tell at a glance if it's due to low pressure from the tank.  I can also see the drop in pressure before the tank goes empty.  I usually get about 20 minutes or so after the pressure drops low before the tank goes empty.  Each to his own I guess, but I'm happy to have that gauge on my setup.

A tank gage on an oxy propane rig makes sense but not for operations other than to know when you should fill the tank rather than start using it. My oxy prop reg ONLY has a tank gage, it feeds the torch by metering at a set ratio to oxy flow. You'd need a manometer to adjust pressure and the right tools to open the flow regulator. I use a 20lb. propane tank for it and it never slushes up nor have I noticed a tank pressure drop, even with the rosebud.

I can tell by the sound if the tank is slushing up. I slosh a propane tank before I light the forge to gauge the level, after running a little while, say 15-20 minutes condensation on the tank is all I need to tell fuel level. 

I only use my small tanks 40lb. on my forge if I'm doing a demo that will have breaks in the action. If there will be more than one person in my forge or another forge I bring a 100lb. tank.

I keep an eye on my propane tanks pretty constantly like every time I turn to the forge, they are only a few feet away and in plain view.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree that a pressure gauge on LPG cylinders is of little use; especially for trying to judge how much fuel remains. Propane dealers sell a secial gauge, which is supposed to indicate remaining fuel content much more accurately, but I mistrust how well they may be constructed, since buyers post many complaints about them :P

The only adequate method I'm aware of for judging LPG content in a cylinder is buy weight. Of course, the frost line on the cylinder is pretty accurate too...but I try to avoid such heavy use like the plague. Ever the cheapskate; that's me :rolleyes:

My forge runs off two 20-lb tanks daisychained together, with one of those "fuel remaining" gauges between the connecting hose and the burner's supply line (which itself has a 0-30 psi regulator and output gauge). The "fuel remaining" gauge has never once indicated that the tanks are completely full, but it does a decent job of letting me know when the supply is starting to run low.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the second time in as many months I've heard it said regulators sold for oxy/propane heating/cutting are unsuitable for forge burners and dangerous.  I have used the same fuel regulators for torches (oxy/propane and air/propane) forges and weed burners over 50 years and I'm still here.  One of the rigs in my shop today was first used on the farm in mid 60s and still going strong with a couple diaphragms and an O-ring here and there.  I can't see any reason the dual guage,Harris regulator Frosty posted can't run most burners discussed here.  The guage look's to show 60 psi and I've never had one with less than 30psi and never needed near that for a single burner.   I'm further baffled by this.  " The propane regulator on my All States oxy propane torch is a flow meter the output pressure maxes about 3ounces/sq/in. "  That doesn't sound like it would run a jeweler's torch,much less torches 90% of us use in our shop.  I realize many of us march to different drummers but I doubt that translates to burner voodoo.  

Fair enough Bill but what would you trust, the manufacturer's specs or what "doesn't sound like it would . . ." to someone on the internet? 

Pressure only effects flow rate through a fixed orifice. A variable orifice changes flow at one pressure. 

Do I need to explain the difference between BTUs and temperature? Perhaps the difference in heat output per cu/ft. of fuel gas between fuel air and oxy fuel burners? 

I don't use my oxy propane torch in a forge. -_-

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Leather Bill said:

his is the second time in as many months I've heard it said regulators sold for oxy/propane heating/cutting are unsuitable for forge burners and dangerous.

With the single exception of acetylene regulators, which shouldn't be used on any other fuel gas, I have never heard of torch regulators being dangerous for LPG fuels. However, I have stated that they are WAY overpriced in comparison to LPG regulators, which don't need to be built to withstand the higher pressures of some fuel gases normally used in torches. Also, I think that LPG regulators are better designed to work well with LPG; that last part could be wrong.

Just now, Mikey98118 said:

Also, I think that LPG regulators are better designed to work well with LPG

In what way? In cold weather.

Thank you for offering Frosty,yes I would appreciate information such as mfgrs specs on flow meter acting as propane regulator for an oxy/propane torch.  I've had limited experience with liquid and gas flow meters serving to record quantity but never in an application where it regulated flow to a torch head.  I've had occasion to utilize manometers for precision measurement of vacuum and pressure but was never aware of need for such precision applied to torches.  It would explain alot to find out cuts I've admired and never able to duplicate were done with precision  equipment similar to what you are using while I struggled with what I thought was  quality torch sets.                                                                                                              I'll pass on asking you to explain the difference between BTUs and temperature,  difference in heat output per cu/ft. of fuel gas between fuel air and oxy fuel burners.  After dwelling in ignorance all these years about flow meter regulators for cutting torches, I'm not sure I'm ready to find out I missed the bus on that stuff to.  

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.