I Forge Iron

Walleye Master

Here's something I made for a friends retirement.  He is a great fisherman and specializes in walleyes.  He has a ice rod making business in his much earned spare time.  Not much to it but he liked it and hung it on his shop wall and it was fun to make.

201810129509562195001_01.jpg

2018101095165639.jpg

Edited by Nodebt
Attempt To Fix Photos

Nodebt, all that came up when I clicked on the links was a tiny thumbnail (less than .25"x25").  It sounds like a cool sculpture.  Since I grew up in upper mid-west and have family there walleyes were common in my life.  And wallies are really good eating.  I recently saw that Culvers (a midwest and out to the Rockies hamburger and ice cream chain) had brought back their walleye dinner I was very pleased.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Well, sorry about that.  I tried fixing it, I don't know what went on.  I could see them plainly and I didn't include a link.   I seem to be having trouble lately with my account.

My friend held fish fry's several times a year, he had a wonderful tabasco batter recipe.

Pictures look fixed to me. 

Nice work Scott. That expanded metal is great use for the texture and the outline metal is shaped really well.

Green glass looks good for the eye. 

Did you cut the hanging sign? 

Hey, thanks Aric, Billy.  Thanks George for pointing that out to me.   Like I said pretty simplistic but fun.  Aric, I had a friend with a plasma table cut the sign out but when I got it back thought to myself it would have gone better with the fish if I had free handed it with slightly jagged looking letters.

NMY_MartyricA.png.16a5d06ed00b834bf1414c79ba45b353.png

Thanks Jerry and Robert.

I can freehand if I have it marked out with a paint pen.  Sometimes my hand gets a little shaky but I just quit and take it up later.

What kind of fish grill?  How about a full size bullhead head shaped grill where you open the mouth (lid) and see a walleye shaped grate?  (Ever get stung by a bullhead barb?  Yeeeouch!)

There was a show, metal shop masters that as far as I know just ran one season. They had an episode where they were to make a grill themed on a food they like to grill. One pair of artists did a fish shaped grill. 

23 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Green glass looks good for the eye

I tried cutting green stained glass to put behind the expanded metal body but broke three pieces and decided to stop.  I'd like to make a butterfly with metal and stained glass.  Someday....

I must have missed metal shop masters.

My brother told me about the show as I don't watch much tv and hadn't heard about it. There may be a reason they only had one season. It was still fun to watch. 

I'm supposed to be doing a collaboration of a butterfly with a lady that does stained glass. I'm going to be making the body and she will be doing the stained glass in the wings and body. 

Class cutting is a whole other art.

I have never given collaberation consideration.  I have thought about all kinds of ways to integrate stained glass into my work but am no good at it.  My aunt was a master at it, I was too young to learn.  My sister still has a Nebraska pheasant flying over the cornfields that she did that is stunning.

Please post pictures of your project someday when it's done.

Will do. We were supposed to do it over the winter but they have been rearranging and restructuring their studio so probably wouldn't have had time. I'll have to get on that and atleast get my end of it done. 

On 4/12/2022 at 7:35 PM, George N. M. said:

And wallies are really good eating.

Not much better.  He took me on fishing trip to SD.  He's a halfway professional and I learned a lot.  The only fish that I ever ate that tasted better was a wahoo I caught on a fishing excursion in Florida at my brothers wedding.  My sister set up a competition between the gals and guys and I went with the gals just to be obstinant.  Anyway I caught a 49lb wahoo and boy was my brother was hot.  All they caught was a puny barracuda.  If you ever get a chance, try wahoo.  The only sushi I have ever ate was a slice of that fish.  Evidently a tradition.

Sure....  Scored and deep fried, mmmmm.

Maybe that one you had came from a muddy pond?

I still have the recipie for pickeling it, we haven't made it in a while, maybe I should post it in Vulcan's Grill.....:ph34r:

Mmmmmm, mmmmm, good.

No, not particularly dirty water for a modest size flood control lake in S. Cal. All the urban lakes and flood control basins were stocked to keep algae and seaweed growth under control. The below pic is maybe half the lake, there weren't docks and high lights when I was last there, cir, 1965. No idea what the recipe was, what I remember for sure was boney fishy jello textured. None appealing. Carp was the main fishing at Hanson Dam when I was there. Easy to catch, bottom fish with dough bait and let them have it. Trying to set the hook was usually a mistake they were too soft mouthed, just let them swallow it and reel them in.

Hansen Dam Recreation Lake Facility - RPOSD

Frosty The Lucky.