I Forge Iron

Volcano Forge

ede

Suggestion; do NOT accept Thomas's suggestion to use the OED as the basis of the game---did you know there are two spellings for fewmets?  (Ran into the "common" one in L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time"; got gigged for using it by an English Grad student who relied on a lesser dictionary than the OED...)

"Crwth" is a good word when you're playing hangman and people are paying for vowels.

One of the very nice things about working in higher education is free online access to the full OED through the college's OUP subscription.

47 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

there are two spellings for fewmets

Not surprising for a word that fell out of common use before the dictionaries started standardizing spelling.

Know anyone who pronounces "tour" as "tower" and uses it to indicate a work shift?  Oklahoma was rife with oilpatch slang when I lived there.  Not to mention our friends in the UK, what is the quote:  Britain and the US are "two nations separated by a common language".  Ever used a spanner?

Lucy answers your questions for a penny and she's not bothered by perplexing things. In fact she's good at it.

I have an old friend from Ok who pronounces "ow" with two syllables. Many years ago during the pipeline days I hung with a lot of Texans and they usually told folks to come or I'tll be, etc., "rat cheer."

Frosty The Lucky.

TW, I assume that comer HS age they nail one foot to the floor so they can't go to jobs in other parts of the state?  I remember working a well in Texas where the hands were all Cajuns.     I was mainly in the deep Anadarko Basin in NW OK; but only took a little ribbing being from Arkansas...

When I graduated I couldn’t wait to get outta here, I joined the navy and got myself some gone! Lol 

after I got out I spent some time living an working in various states from coast to coast,

but eventually I came back home it’s quiet an peaceful here,  an I know dang near everyone across the county, nothing really ever changes much, people talk about stuff that happened decades ago like it was yesterday lol

but your right a lot of people I graduated with never did leave and have never been far from home,