I Forge Iron

A young blacksmith, stuck in 1774

Hi everyone,

My name is Ian, I am from north-central WV. I began blacksmithing a little over two years ago as my first full time job. I was a essentially self taught apprentice, but also got a lot of advice from a very experienced smith who has done this as a life long profession.

This job was at a historic sight, and not only did I blacksmith, I interpreted the history of our historically accurate blacksmith shop set in the late 1700s.

I still work there, but also have my own slightly more modern shop, have set up an online store, and got my business license yesterday. 

I’m currently 20 years old, but hope to continue in this trade as a large portion of my income. (Good luck with that)

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  It sounds like you have a very good start in the craft.  Read the threads in the Business Side of Blacksmithg.  Running a business is a very different set of skills than being a craftsman or having a profession.  I suggest that you seriously think about taking some business courses at your local Jr. College.  Running a business is not something that everyone enjoys or is good at.  Many crafts people and professionals end up working for someone else because they can't or won't do well at running a business.

We'd love to see pictures of your shop and your work.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Ian, glad to have you. Ditto George about learning to run a business, it's a lot harder than making hot steel do your bidding. Heck if you're good enough at it, running other people's businesses could easily pay for your blacksmithing addiction. ;)

We LOVE pictures, send pictures please.

Frosty The Lucky.

Here’s some photos of my shop at work. I don’t own this shop or much in it, but it’s were Ive learned the trade.

Ive also attached some photos of some past projects. Don’t have a lot of pictures currently! Also I’ll post some pics of my shops set up as soon as I have it, well, set up (Reorganizing to fit the new coal forge)

Glad to be on board

-Ian

79111901-8172-45D4-ABED-43DCF4921926.jpeg

D95D6AB6-4FD9-4036-917F-875B5EDF4135.jpeg

3964EFA7-FBB8-45DE-A407-023AB1B028AA.jpeg

C4F1E287-2A15-4B87-8FEA-206C934E8142.png

60E384C5-F890-44B2-9EC3-43C1356C2408.png

FC67074F-2E7F-4C7E-A11C-ED4D1A80C3E4.png

B3FCF3A0-6FD7-4D67-A62A-C865ABCB8349.png

B4358B20-3F7B-40D6-A3B4-A48FF917D915.png

Welcome to IFI, and thanks for the photos. 

Ditto what everyone else said about starting a business. I would just add that you should contact your local small business administration offices and see what resources they have. My wife is in the process of opening her own yarn shop, and the Ohio Small Business Development Center has been amazing, providing her with coaching, advice, accountability, and so on, all for free.

I also know a lot of craft folk where the crafter just produces and their spouse runs the business often in addition to a day job that provides insurance and other benefits  and a steady income as craftwork is often a "punctuated equilibrium".

Saw one anachronistic London pattern there; do you have any good sources that you are working from for the kit?

And I have to say; Nice trivet!   Are you doing any like that forge welded instead of riveted?

Also are you working any with real wrought iron or is it all post 1850's mild steel?

The trivet (top ring) is a forge welded piece. But I had actually never considered forge welding the legs to the ring. Might have to try that, I’ve been mostly copying examples I’ve seen in our books in the library on site.

Pretty much everything in the shop is based around the 40 years of research my boss has made, he’s a master smith and extremely informed historian. This shop is set mostly to resemble a 1774 shop, but some more modern (early 1800s) tools are seen to also represent the historical farm house on site.

Oops. Also I do have quite a bit of wrought iron in the shop, but haven’t clinked around with it yet. Definitely want to soon though!

Nice shop! and good luck with your business. It's a wonderful way to make a living smithing. Great work, great clients, great people. 

;) best advice I can give is to learn how to cook air in at least 5 different ways. That way you will have a good varied diet.  :)  I have been a working smith all my life.