I Forge Iron

More project ideas for Intermediate/ moderate difficulty projects.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.  It would help if you put your general location in your profile.  A lot of our answers are controlled by geography and we don't know if you are in Tasmania or Lapland.  Also, there may be IFI folk within visiting distance which can be a help on projects.

As to moderately difficult projects, one of the problems beginning smiths have is repeatability, the ability to make multiple copies of the same object.  So, try to make a matching pair of candlesticks or knives or anything else.  Also, experiment with projects that use multiple techniques such as elaborate twists and different methods of fastening such as welding, riveting, banding, mortise and tenon. etc..  Another skill that is necessary to develop is a sense of what steps have to be done in what order, e.g. you have to do X before you do Y because after Y the area to do X is no longer accessible.  This can get interesting on more complex projects.

Look through Artist-Blacksmith Association of North America website and archives for inspiration and I'm sure Pinterest and Etsy have lots of examples.  It will all depend on what direction you want to go into, art, blades, armor, practical objects, gates and railings, etc..

Finally, browse through the back pages of "Member Projects" or "What I Did In the Shop Today" pages for ideas.  Alexandr, a member from St. Petersburg, Russia does some magnificent work that may inspire you.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Another way to increase difficulty and skills is working with larger stock---if everything you have done was done with smaller than 1/2" stock, doing a gate with 1" stock will be a whole level of difficulty!

Or "go different".  Try tool making, or repousse, sculpture or historical reenactment.  (Doing all at once is advanced!)

Your skill level and your direction have a lot to do with the answer. 

10 hours ago, Forged in Kendal said:

I forge a lot

pretty vague. 

If your direction is architectural, can you forge an upset right angle bend? Can you forge a right angle bend to dimension? can you forge weld to dimension? If so, out of half square, forge 4 right angle bends to dimension and on one side, do a forgeweld to dimension so you end up with a square, all sides equal length, no wasp waste at the weld and 4 right angles

To do this, figure out your starting length, center punch the inside of your right angle bends, create 2 scarfs for the forge weld, then get after it.

13 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Sooneresque

Bah hahah! :lol:
 I am in Oklahoma ya know! 

I’m leaning towards art okie! 

maybe put a crowing rooster weather vane on top! 

I’d put lots of scrolls up the sides

and then plant morning glories around it so half way through the summer it’s a big green blob with flowers an a chicken sticken out the top! that sounds about right lol

My mother was born down near Altus and in a family of Arkies, took quite a bit of ribbing about that.  I've lived in OKC and worked in the oil patch so, yes, I am familiar with the state.  You know you really need a modified 1926 Hudson Super Six sitting under that arch...(I'm sure John will get the reference...)

Add a couple of windmills to power the chickens to peck and perhaps a mock oil derrick with a windmill powering a "gusher" every now and then...we can get something that will have the tourists "flocking" to see and you neighbors showing them the way after dark with their pitchforks and torches!  Have you looked at Stephen Kings fence for ideas?

Grapes of wrath? 

much more common to a Chevy 350 block settin under a shade tree around here lol, 

your talking about out west of here, I think the closest pump jack is probably around muskogee, not any oil derricks around here, 

neighbors? You mean the angus herd across the fence? Lol,

I have not looked at me kings fence but now you have perked my interest so I’ll do an image search real quick 

We're not talking "common" we're talking "Old School"!  (Of course my Mother's old school has trees big enough to log growing out of the classrooms now.)  And you were spot on with the Joad's.

Ok skip the derrick and have the windmill turn a spit that will take an angus...

I have cousins that have a summer place on Tenkiller;  but we sold our share of the farm down by Altus to kinfolk who farm down that way.  Held tight to the land in Cedarville AR as that's *nice* country!

Last thing I sold to a UK couple was a tool for dragging ashes out of their wood stove.  They had been using one they bought in Cornwall and would schlepp back and forth between their house there and their house here.  They asked me if I could make one for Socorro NM, USA.  Well the one I made was fancier and they paid me double what I had asked and ended up taking it back to the UK when they moved back for good...

Find a market, fill it, do better work than anyone currently is doing.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have cousins that have a summer place on Tenkiller

Tenkiller is over some hills and through the woods about 25-30 minutes west of me, it pretty nice in some areas over there,

I went through elementary at the oldest school in the state that’s still operating today, the original was sometime in the mid 1800s? but the building I went through I think was built in 1911? 

the high school I went through was originally built in 1904 but burned in 1907, an was rebuilt later that year, then they got a new building built by the WPA in 1937 that’s the building I went through high school in, it was in ruff shape then, so im sure it’s worse now! but they still use it today lol,

there was a wind powered grain mill a few miles north of Westville that was still standing in the 1970s but it was gone by the time I got here, the foundation an stone parts of the wall are still all there though,

I like the angus spit idea though! But I probably won’t include it on a sidewalk arbor, it would make me hungry every time I went to an from the house! Lol

Hi, my skill level is intermediate, as you may have guessed.

I am looking for forging projects instead of knives.

If you check my page, you will see what I can make repeatable . Currently I've made quite a lot of things from the Nicholas Wicks book(the everyday blacksmith).

I'm saying half inch stock because it's an easy to acquire size for me to work with, but I've not used a large amount.

I have made multiple leaves from it, as well as a rams head.

I have also made a knife. Stock removal if you were wondering.

Attached are pictures of a few of my projects.

Thanks everyone!

1644663197582.thumb.JPEG.5ba1474182edc6ef15f5f6390bd81946.JPEG

1644663197747.thumb.JPEG.ab43807c8997e2325fcb05694dc5942c.JPEG

1644663197915.thumb.JPEG.151d9189293155651a1cba0f0b27840c.JPEG

1644663198086.thumb.JPEG.a9f3cf16809ef15a2364f98c7733a19a.JPEG

1644663197046.thumb.JPEG.f937e1b8a1f9b50fe295702718eca654.JPEG

1644663197236.thumb.JPEG.cb0b81f3ec196fc74479d69f49a47c9f.JPEG

1644663197411.thumb.JPEG.e9d5ad0e31909a78b82f43b0096b1029.JPEG

1644663196827.thumb.JPEG.c3eca205f4f73bd802f8b40a2f6ba0d3.JPEG

I would say that you need to pay more attention to details in your work.  For example, veins in the leaves, more detail and "facets" on the rams head, a tapered tail on the rebar snake and a more defined head, etc..  It's being able to do the details quickly and fairly automatically that mark you as a more advanced smith.  I know that details can be boring but they really improve the work.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I've had fun with the fireplace poker challenge.  While not especially difficult, it's got several elements rolled into one project; drawing, tapering, folding, scarfing, welding, and scrolling.  If you want an ambitious project,  Forge yourself a post vise.  Handles, latches, and hinges are some projects that seem to be pretty straightforward.  It seems that every time I set out to make something I've never made before, I spend more time making the tools for the project, than on the actual project. 

Not only here but i find a lot of inspiration from youtube. Black bear  forge did i think a years worth of "Hook of the week" videos you may want to look at. Also what he does is mostly not real difficult stuff usually. Somewhere in the forums is a list of "IFI approved" youtube channels, may want to look at a few of them. 

One thing that can make a nice project is a "showpiece" gate.  Make a simple garden gate that you can  weld or  rivet ornamentation too and then work on your leaves, dragon heads, flowers, etc.  add them starting at the bottom so as you get better they are higher up on it. When you get to the top; sell it and start another one.