I Forge Iron

Please help with identification of this anvil.

Please see the attached pics, just bought my first anvil and would like help to identify and find the year this was made. My research I believe this is a Trenton. Marking at the base are rusty and hard to read but after weighing this is a 169 lb anvil. It apears to be in great shape and just needs a good cleaning. It has a solid consistant ring all over and I have some 3/4 steel balls ordered to check the rebound. What is the best way to clean an anvil without harm , the paint has to go?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

PXL_20220111_231929268.MP.jpg

PXL_20220111_185708695.MP.jpg

PXL_20220111_231812757.jpg

PXL_20220111_231842849.jpg

PXL_20220111_231851504.jpg

PXL_20220111_231857723.jpg

PXL_20220111_233350468.jpg

Welcome to IFI!

Certainly looks Trentonian. You can remove the paint with a heat gun, sandblasting, a wire wheel, chemical stripper, or whatever else takes your fancy. That face looks like it's in good shape, so don't do anything to it with a grinder.

Remember that any old steel ball won't cut it: you need a hardened bearing ball to get an accurate rebound test.

Mark Saw. as to the paint, most of my anvils have paint on them, and many left the factory painted. Seems to be a modern belief that the anvil HAS to be bare metal and oiled. Personally I would leave the paint alone, wire brush the loose rust off the working surfaces, and get it mounted up. Working on it will polish the face up nicely as the scale that comes off the part is abrasive.