I Forge Iron

Paragon High Fire kiln

One of the guys in our club, Teenylittlemetalguy, uses a kiln for tempering and precision heat treating but IIRC he had to do more than just turn the temp down. I believe it required some rewiring to get it cool enough for steel. 

Frosty The Lucky.

IIRC = "If I Recall Correctly"

Kilns for ceramics are designed to work at much higher temperatures than those for heat treating steel. The digital controller looks very nice, but I would recommend you contact Paragon and ask what is the lowest temperature at which this kiln can operate.

That kiln will work just fine. We have the same controller on ours and it is very programable. I want to say mine is max 1850f but will hold, ramp and cycle any temp you want. 

We just got ours and I have been having alot of fun fusing glass. Havent used it to heat treat yet. Mine is much bigger and the glass firing schedules are quite long and the wife is hoarding the time.

Fused glass goes through annealing and tempering cycles too.   Usually hold 900f for an hour the cool at 100f per hour to 700f then cool as slow as possible to room temp. Afterwards, the glass object (coe96 glass) will bounce on the tile floor like a super ball!

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

Rojo Pedro, how low can you set the temperature? 410° is about the coolest you'd need for heat treatment; if the kiln can hold something that low, I'd say this is a slam dunk.

Are you referingn to tempering? Heat treat is at a much higher temp.

It looks like this might be the ticket. Now if I can get the seller to reply to my messages

Heat treatment includes hardening, tempering, annealing, normalizing, and subcritical annealing, as well as cryotreatment. Any process that changes a steel object’s physical properties solely through changing its temperature is technically a heat treatment. 

The 410°F given above refers to the lowest temperature for tempering (pale straw).

I'm sorry but tempering is a variety of heat treat, as is annealing, cryo quenching, normalizing and hardening.  So heat treating of iron alloys can go from -320 degF  to almost around 2900 degF nudging the melting point(s) of various alloys.

And John beat me to it...he must be using wetter clay and a more pointy stylus!

You also may find the size and shape of that kiln somewhat limiting for blade work.  If you only intend to make relatively small knives it will probably be fine.  Larger blades may not fit well in it.  However, if it's in working order I'd probably snap that up for $100.

11 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'd worry about the temp cycle on the Easy Bake!

I just need to be careful not to melt the plastic push stick.

4 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

You also may find the size and shape of that kiln somewhat limiting for blade work.  If you only intend to make relatively small knives it will probably be fine.  Larger blades may not fit well in it.  However, if it's in working order I'd probably snap that up for $100.

Well right now I am thinking of doing blades around 8" overall. But like you said for $100, if it works,  heck yeah.