I Forge Iron

New anvil owner today

I have been half heartedly looking for an anvil for a few months. Yesterday I noticed one locally in my price range. It was listed as 120 pounds and unknown manufacturer. I went and looked at the anvil, struck a deal and brought it home. My scale says 121 pounds. After wire wheeling the accumulated rust off it I notice some very vague printing and a figure that appears to be 2 crossed elongated crossed slot shaped images. Think paper clip image, crossed. The only stamping I can make out is below and to the right of the referenced image.   What I see is VIL assuming it is the last three letters of ANVIL.

Anyone have any idea what I have purchased? It appears to be steel as it throws sparks from the wire wheel cup. It has a nice ring to it and will bonce a 1" ball bearing almost to the height it was dropped from.

By way of introduction, I in Warren County in  Northwest NJ.

LTC

Thank you all for your responses to my inquiry as to my new anvil purchase. I will never make blacksmith, but someone who enjoys the challenge of learning something new. My first anvil is a section of RR rail turned into my idea of an anvil by myself. My forge is made from a disc brake rotor, built a week or so ago by myself. I plan on making improvements to the forge shortly. Hammers were existing in my collection of tools. I discovered the tongs in the bottom of one of my tool boxes. Probably handed down from my Grandfather 50 - 60 years ago. Please disregard the random piles in the garage. I'm looking forward to new challenges.

DSC01494.JPG

DSC01495.JPG

Rotor is good for a forge. Not sure the reason for two T's on the down pipe. You just need one for the air inlet. Improvements would be to make a metal table with fencing on the edges to keep extra fuel on with openings for stock to lay flat in the fire. Also making a weighted flap cap for the ash dump will improve it. I dealt with the screw cap on mine for a while. A flap cap is way easier to deal with. 

Looks like a good start on the kit. 

Looking in a copy of Anvils in America under Wilkinson I see the actual trade mark illustrated. As I remember the "HOT DOIGS" were above WILKINSON. WILKINSON and SOLID ANVIL were on a curve up & down respectively. 

LTC

X

WILKINSON

PATENDED

SOLID   ANVIL

Daswulf, The second T is used to act as a damper to bleed off excess air flow. I am using a shop vac to supply forced air to the forge. I plan on installing a fence on the perimeter of the rotor to increase the capacity. The fence will have penetrations' to allow for the heating of longer stock. I am trying to keep the forge as small as possible at this point. I was also thinking about a solution for replacing the ash dump cap. Everything about the forge is Rev. A. Thank you for your input.

LTC

A blow drier is typically more air than a forge can reasonably use.

A clamp on exhaust flap cap makes a nice ash dump. The counter weight keeps it closed and you can reach under with tongs, fire tool, piece of whatever, lift the weight and dump the ash into the bucket under it. If flammable gasses build up and ignite when you give it the blast again the flap cap will prevent the pop from blowing burning coals out of the forge, the pop will open the flap and dump it in the bucket. 

A flap ash dump is easy to make, I made my first one but DANG an exhaust cap works a treat, is as easy to install as tightening a U clamp and is pretty cheap. 

My tuyere is all welded semi exhaust pipe, 3" for the vertical and 2" for the horizontal sections. I used a 2" hole saw to make the port for the horizontal and a 3" hole saw to cut the 2" pipe to match the vertical section. 

I run an oxy propane torch so I mig welded it up from the inside. I would've gas welded it but I haven't run oxy acet in 50 years. Oh well. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice. Looks like all the pieces are there, so a bit of wire brushing and some BLO to prevent further rusting, and you should be good to go.

The jackhammer bit on the right will come in handy as well. That raised collar is a good head start for making bottom tools to fit in your hardy hole; I've got a number of them that started out that way. Here are four tools that came from one bit: a round punch (shown unhandled), a rounding hammer, a hot-cut, and a doghead hammer:

Hot Cut Hardy -- What should I use? - Hot Cuts, Anvil devils, metal cutting  on the anvil. - I Forge Iron

The vise is cleaned up, painted, yes I decided to paint it vs. BLO. Temporally attached to one of my rounds. A question though. Should the jaw faces go square and flat to each other when fully closed or be on a bit of an angle? These jaws are tight at the top, in the center of the jaw, with the remaining top of the jaws being about .040" - .050" open? Anyone wish to venture a guess as to the age of the vise? Yes the spring clamp is too low for the spring. I will make another u type clamp to fit at the top of the spring or fit it to a higher perch for the base.

LTC

DSC01499.JPG

Edited by LTC
altered message

Leg vise jaws swing in an arc, unlike bench vise jaws which run in a track. The top of the face of the hook jaw (mover) will tilt back as it opens. Having the tops touch sooner without anything in it means they'll be parallel holding something. The right thickness.;)

It's also pretty normal for the jaws not to match left to right either, clamping something hard on one side can twist the jaw so the other side closes more. Guys who work their vises hard will often make spacers so forces are even on both sides. If you squeeze the dickens out of a 1" bar repeatedly the jaws will wrack that way. If on the other hand you put a 1" spacer on the other side it'll stay square.

Make sense?

Your vise won't care if you find it a taller block, you'd have to hit it harder than most humans could to move it IF that block is solid on the ground. There should be two wedges and a slip in the U clamp which will give you a very wide range of adjustment up or down the heel (fixed) jaw. She'll work just fine the way you've mounted her, the spring only has to open the jaw, it hardly has to push at all, you can make one from mild steel without a problem.

She's a beauty,  I have no idea of make nor age. Paint's good, I LIKE paint. What color are you thinking of? Mine is Hunter Green and gold.

Frosty The Lucky.