I Forge Iron

Who ships heavy/large items?

Lol, we’re gonna need a bigger box! 

I can’t believe a champion went for that much!!! 

I just had a thought,

there’s some guy over in Europe who ships pallets flat rate, with anvils, blocks, and everything else, I think his website is blacksmiths paradise,

does anyone know who he uses to freight? 

TW, one last thought:  I strongly suspect that the German customs duty on an "antique" is much less than an "industrial tool."  So, I suggest that it be labelled as such when shipped or carried.  The same is true for edged weapons.  If you are a re-enactor going to event in Europe you should label or call your swords, daggers, axes, etc. "theatrical props" which will result in much less hassle getting them into the country.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

By boat will be less expensive than air.  If you could piggyback it in a container that would be best.  IIRC someone here got there anvil in a container with some old tractors making the trip

I believe you are talking about Robin Sharples Waterfoot in the UK, he is on a FB anvil page and ships anvils all over.  He has a job lot  up for sale now that has I believe 40 or 50 anvils in it, along with factory stands, and swage blocks.  I think he said he was getting a container shipped to the States for $1,800.  That is reasonable considering containers from China now are running $20,000 due to high demand. My friend checked into getting his dad's Porsche 911 shipped from Germany to Las Vegas and it was going to be $1,500.

As to the Navy buddy, my aunt and uncle got a few cases of Vernors ginger ale delivered to England by submarine.

Had a buddy just come back to the states after spending a few years there, but no one I know currently,

I’m gonna haul the blower up to the post office one morning this week an have them weigh it on their scales, an price shipping 

I talked with Alexandr and that’s what he suggested,

I know the post office lady told me it would be really high but after Alexandrs suggestion

I looked at the USPS website international shipping rates and it was much less then FedEx or DHL, for a 50 pound package,

if I understand the charts correctly

it’s $140-$150 USD, and that’s a far cry from $700-$1000 for DHL an FedEx 

I’ll keep y’all posted on what I find out,

also I’ll take Georges suggestion and mark it as an antique so hopefully the customs fees will be lower, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 7:44 PM, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I’ll keep y’all posted on what I find out,

also I’ll take Georges suggestion and mark it as an antique so hopefully the customs fees will be lower, 

TWillow -- I believe he might've meant that "Industrial" stuff would be charged less (by Customs) than "antiques" (???) Might want to clarify with him -- that's how I read it -- but I'm a part-time dolt.  (Great word -- "Dolt" I always picture the dumb-lookin' cartoon guy from Gary Larson's work, pushing on the door that says "PULL")