I Forge Iron

Who ships heavy/large items?

Fastenal will ship internal store to store but there is no promise as to the time.

Check with the motor freight companies for less than full load rates. Just be sure it is secured to a pallet and well protected.  There are companies out there that specialize in one off items.

I see a Paella pan.

I had a K member for my 74 Duster shipped via Greyhound.

Shipping right now is very expensive via truck. You can try Uship, and see if someone could use a filler for lower cost. I used it to get a 56 Imperial shipped from WI to NV for $860.  The guy was headed to Las Vegas to pick up a Yukon he bought, so hauling my car out was no big deal.

When you start talking LTL, weight isn't typically an issue (unless your talking items that weight thousands and thousands of pounds each) as you are more charged per pallet space. Around here, I can ship a pallet of goods for roughly ~$150 per standard pallet size. The primary company my work uses (to my knowledge) is Estes Trucking, granted we might get a better rate. You could always check around your local area and see if there is a local trucking company with a terminal you can drop off to for items to be shipped (think UPS, but for semi's).

• 3 months later...

Alright y’all, we talked about shipping within the USA, but I got a question about international shipping, 

I asked the local post office lady about mailing a champion 400 blower from Westville Oklahoma to someone in Germany,

and she asked if it weighed more then 10 pounds an I said, well ya! Lol,

I ain’t weighed it yet but I guesstimate it’s around 30-50 pounds?

(I broke the bathroom scale weighing other stuff and I’ve been banished from touching the new one..:ph34r:)

she told me to go check with UPS or FedEx because the USPS would charge a small fortune, 

has anyone had experience shipping something in that weight range internationally? 

if so who did you use to freight it?

and why did you choose that company? 

Even domestically UPS can get pretty pricey.  My cousin sent us some stuff this fall from my late aunt and my grandfather from MN to WY in a couple flat screen TV boxes plus a couple other boxes and the total was over $300.  I haven't shipped anything large overseas but I have a sense that Fedex is cheaper.  You might PM Alexandr and see who he uses to ship from Russia to the US.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I just checked DHL and FedEx websites……!!!!! 

holy cow!!!

it was A lot more then I thought! 

You can get a plane ticket an fly over there an back for as much as they want to mail a forge blower!!! 

I just measured the dimensions of the blower and over estimated the box by a couple inches to allow for bubble wrap an what not, then I put the weight in as 50 pounds, 

it was $700-$800  to over a grand! 

I thought it was gonna be like $150 tops! 

At those prices I could hire a sketchy sea captain on a banana boat to smuggle it to Germany for half that cost! 

or buy a plane ticket an take a trip for a week, see the sights, buy some souvenirs, eat some local food, drink some local beer and deliver it in person! 

I could call up an old navy buddy an see if he can haul it on the ship over there to port then mail it?

id haul it myself in the pickup truck but there ain’t no bridge over the Atlantic! 

good grief!

There’s gotta be a cheaper way to mail a rusty ol blower!?! :wacko:

I vote for taking the trip! There are a bunch of Iforge members in Europe I'd love to meet face to face and swap tall tales over a brew.

Maybe we should start a shipping company that specialize in blacksmithing tools and equipment. We might find a gray area between industrial and hobby that isn't so expensive. We can call it, "Trail of Tears Shipping." We can take turns flying to foreign lands and carrying it as luggage! Ooh ooh! I'm liking the idea more every second! I'll be a Trail of Tears currier, no extra charge for rust!

Frosty The Lucky.

Although it would be more difficult to set up than domestically there is the informal blacksmith courier service.  This is where someone buys something at, say, Quad State, but cannot get it home.  Blacksmith A says he could haul it to his place.  A while later, blacksmith B, moves it further along.  Finally, blacksmith C, by making a small detour, is able to drop it off at the original purchaser's shop.  It may take awhile but it can work.

In your case, if you could find someone flying to Europe, you might pack the blower as excess baggage and pay the excess weight fee.  The recipient could meet the courier and accept delivery.  You might have to pay the courier and cut some of the purchase price off for all the trouble but it might be cheaper than the excessive overseas shipping.

This may be way too complex but I'm trying to think outside the box.

I still suggest contacting Alexandr and seeing if he has any suggestions.  It's possible that his customers are the kind of folk who don't care about thousands of dollars in shipping costs.

Also, if you are selling the blower to a buyer in Europe this is the buyer's problem, not yours.  If the shipping cost is too rich then you'll just have to find a new buyer in the US.

I ran into this years ago when I was looking at a European anvil.  I had hoped that things had changed but I guess not.

Good luck.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'll be a Trail of Tears currier, no extra charge for rust!

Lol, Jerry I’ll give you $100 bucks if you’ll fly this blower to Germany for me! 

6 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Also, if you are selling the blower to a buyer in Europe this is the buyer's problem, not yours.  If the shipping cost is too rich then you'll just have to find a new buyer in the US.

George,
It’s not about trying to sell it, I’m not an antique dealer, I don’t need to find a buyer lol, :lol:

I want to ship this to a young blacksmith there because he wants to try an old American hand crank forge blower,

an he really likes the look of the champion 400, and I guess they are pretty rare over there? 

anyways since I have a bad habit of sniffing out, digging up an dragging this rusty old stuff home on a pretty regular basis, I told him I’d find him one, 

well I’ve found 4 recently and I’m working on going through them now, gonna pick out the best running one for him but gotta figure out how to get it from peavine Oklahoma to Germany…. Preferably without paying a small fortune, 

I did contact Alexandr on your suggestion, he gave me a couple things to think about, he said customs duties are really high in Germany,

Steve, I’ll take a look at Forward air thank you!

Yeah I'd love to try one sometime as well, but in Europe these things are nearly impossible to find. In about 2 years of looking for them I have managed to find or see none. I think that in most shops bellows were replaced with electric blowers. There are however a lot of foot crank blower forges around. They're called "veldsmidse" or field forge, so were mostly used to be easily moved and independently usable.

I guess that's the payoff for having a lot of anvils for sale everywhere.

~Jobtiel