I Forge Iron

Insboard Forge Top - How Thick?

Not sure that helps with his situation. 

I've only used fiber board on a very limited basis.  However, it did seem to me that the insulating properties are impressive.  I had a piece glowing on one side with my hand comfortably on the other side from where it was glowing.  That was an inch thick piece, so you are probably ok with a single 1 inch piece.  If  you want extra peace of mind you could add a second layer, but I doubt it's necessary.

Compare the R-values of the two materials. I'm sure they are listed somewhere.

Insulating fire bricks are less dense than their hard counterparts. I guess the point is density isn't really relevant here. In many cases, less dense materials are better insulators since the thermal conductivity of air is low.

Or the K values, for that matter.  The real issue you will run into is that the board has a tendency to sag quite a bit over time, it is friable, and will still give off the same small fibers after being heated up to forging temperatures as the blanket.  If I recall the board it quite similar to 8# density ceramic wool.  You can certainly build a forge with 1" of either, it just depends on how efficient you want it to be.  In either case I would strongly recommend sealing and protecting the surface.

My forge uses one inch vacuum formed ceramic board coated in plistix and it works fine. It could be more fuel efficient I suppose but I have no complaints. The question you should ask is what trade offs are you willing to make. 

Pnut

Sounds like I'd use 1" insboard and a thick application of kiln wash for the flame face and back it with another inch of Kaowool to boost the insulation. 

Orrrr, apply 3/8" of Kastolite over the board and kiln wash it for extra stiffening. 

The board would make constructing rectangular and square forges easier for sure.

Frosty The Lucky.