I Forge Iron

Using Scale in the Garden

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Martian." There was an actual attempt to keep the science reasonably right. It's a good  movie too, it wasn't butchered out of the book, they tried to keep true to the spirit. 

Potatoes were the only thing an accident survivor had to live on after being left behind by the mission crew. He grew them for food and oxygen. 

I wrote a short story years ago about life in the asteroids. In one scene a shipment of potatoes had been received as an emergency replacement for a lost food stuff. I forget a mutated blight I believe, I wrote it probably 30 years ago. Anyway the shipment arriving was reason for celebration and an elementary teacher brought one in to show the kids.

One in back said, "That's a potato? It looks just like home." It was a throw away line from a story that never went anywhere but I still like it and might work it in somewhere. Other than here.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Thanks for the heads up about the Martin book, I’ll check it out, it sounds interesting! I’m not much into space stuff (it’s to far from Oklahoma for me) but I do really like reading a good story! 
   You could write a biography and work your line in there maybe? 

Andy Weir, the author of The Martian, had said that the one major liberty he took with the actual science was in describing the Martian dust storms as being much worse than they actually are, since the main character getting lost in such a storm is what gets the plot moving in the first place. 

Lol, touché! I was in the United States Navy but I definitely wasn’t In their space program. I was on the uss Mesa verde not the uss enterprise. 

No sorry now I’m perfectly fine just staying in rural Oklahoma now and living where the most exciting thing that happens is I have to help my neighbor chase a cow back in the field every once in awhile. 

There are "hard" sci fi authors who twist the science to make the story work but stay consistent within the rules they've made. Any FTL starship is such a fantasy science. Some of the best is by scientists telling "what if" stories. 

"The Martian" is at the top of the hard sci fi scale.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ahhh, the Father of Steam punk, Jules Verne, one of my favorites! I like Wells well enough but he's more of a psychological or cultural writer. Good but not my favorite genre. 

I've always liked "aftermath" sci fi, now known as post pocky lips. I read a lot more fantasy now too, it's getting better. Larry Correia has two series based in magic and or saints and demons that are riveting. 

I don't recall who said it, Mark Twain maybe? "A good story well written is worth reading," fits my standards to a T.

Frosty The Lucky.

One thing so many years of not having power in my shop has brought to my attention is that doing it all by hand takes a LOT of man hours!  Many authors skip over the fact that it might take years just to make stuff we can in weeks nowadays.  (Also why I hammer on there not being only 1 person in a historical unpowered blacksmith shop; throughput is too slow!)

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

front plate, NCC-1701 USS Enterprise

Nope that plate went on her 1986 Honda CRX we bought from her sister. It's name was the Shuttle craft and she picked up the plate at a Star Trek convention. It's been on every car since then. Still get a lot of thumbs up from old Trekie's.:)