I Forge Iron

Cooking on your forge

Next time cook the bacon on the shovel first then put your eggs on a hot shovel so they don't run off. A fork it much better for toasting bread, it holds it flat rather than on edge. I'm pleased to see you using mayo and a knife long enough to get it all out of the jar.

I usually just scramble eggs if I don't have a spatula to turn them, or it's over easy for me. Corned beef and over easy eggs makes a darn fine sandwich where ever you cook them. Mmmm.

Fun video.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a forged fry pan and spatula for cooking on the forge and a hand forged knife instead of a bayonet. For toast a wire cage that allows me to toast both sides by flipping it over. Haven't used them in a long time though. Also when I would cook in the forge, my air blast was much softer with the hand cranked blower.

Like blacksmithing, cooking takes practice and the right tools. If you want fun you should try cooking in a propane forge. I make steak by cutting it into 2 bite size pieces and cooking it a piece at a time in my screaming hot but shut off forge. I do steak the same way in a camp fire. Potatoes and veggies get cooked next to the fire. 

Don't worry, sales will open up again once the pandemic is under control. It's tough times for everybody.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have cooked on the forge many times at demos over the years..   Mac and cheese, hot dogs, etc..  I like items that take water to cook that way they don't get dried out and I don't eat meat so don't worry about steaks and such.. 

I have cooked beans which worked out well.. 

Meatless :huh: hot dogs? Corn corn dogs? Are there plant based hot dogs? 

A couple of the best cooks I know are a vegan and vegetarian couple. Get them going and they have some of the funniest vegan/vegetarian jokes I've ever laughed at. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to work pretty late when working on a job. I lived on the edge of the national forest. At one point in time there was a guy who was living in the woods and cooking at a fancy restaurant in town. He got in the habit of stopping by after he got off work(late) and would stop by with a couple of steaks. I cooked them over the forge and had a great late meal. 

When I was out forging over the weekend, the neighbor came out to start up his grill to put some steaks on it. Told him to give them to me and I would chuck them in the forge and put a real nice sear on them lol.

I had thought about welding a frame around the front of my forge so I could sit a skillet over the opening and let the dragons breath cook a nice meal for me while I work. I decided not to because I have my giant Blue Rhino flat top griddle/grill sitting just a few feet away that I could easily fire up and cook on. I love that dang grill. Can cook a giant full breakfast on it (hash browns, bacon, eggs, sausage and even pancakes all at the same time and still have room to spare!

Deb bought "me" a Blackstone propane griddle for the RV. It's the smallest model the RV doesn't have a lot of extra room but it'll whip up food nicely. I LOVE a flat top and this is a pretty darned nice one. We have a little charcoal grill aboard too. 

"My":rolleyes: Blackstone isn't getting anywhere near the shop so I either walk to the house or make something in/over the forge. 

Down hearth cooking at a campfire beats a forge any day. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Not the best picture I have of it but this was from a week or two ago. Make me and the misses two fillets and the kids some strips. Initially tried to do bacon wrapped but it did not work out. Deli thick cut applewood bacon. Was delicious. 

Poor thing needs a good scrubbing bath. I also need to take another couple grill stones to it.

20210418_163923.jpg

I have a gas forge but I worry I might the fibres on the food from the lining. 

This is a BBQ I made, my dad had the plate cut 32 years ago, before the days of gas bbqs in Newzealand this is what you had, and just propped it up with some bricks, it traveld in the car wrapped in paper 

504A54F1-3CDC-4B58-B00E-E6E5B4FB07E4.jpeg

D5F41BE1-4E0C-4295-A0F4-7D9684B96869.jpeg

Used to do the typical grilled cheese toasting and Saki warming carefully using the heat from my glassblowing pipe warmer or glory hole (for reheating glass, no nastiness here).  Each of those closely resembles a gas forge.  You want a real wake up call, throw a single Cheeto or Dorito chip into your gas forge once it is hot and stand back.  Amazing how much flame will shoot out the front.  A good illustration of how much chemical energy these things contain that we scarf down.

An old smith from Nottingham who I use to know who started his apprenticeship in 1937 sed every new year they would cut off a bit of 3x3” square bar witch would be heated then quenched in an beer or whiskey witch they would drink and at the end of every day for the whole year that bit of steel would be heated at the end of the day and used to heat the hand washing water before it was retired at the end of the year and put on the forge hood and wall where he sed there were hundreds of them.