I Forge Iron

Holland 190lb Anvil Review Pros and Cons Style

Arteus

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

All the above crap said, I'd be proud to shake your hand and be friends. 

Man, we are good.  I know exactly what you mean with anger issues, and it is my responsibility to apologize. Without going off into the weeds, I have almost the exact same emotional response to conflict that you do.   I'm the one who jumped though, and didn't take the time to cool off (like you did) 

I am no xxxx sincerely sorry, and I hope you'll forgive me the knee-jerk reaction.  I am sincerely embarrassed by it, and would delete it if I could. I know better than that, and should have acted better myself.  While we have different reasons for it, I too have to stop think, and back down my "anger" It's frustrating as hell, not only because I used to be count alot more on my reactions, but also, knowing something caused it in me, and I will most likely never be able to change it.  Even more oddly enough, I was an instructor for 4 years and get EXACTLY what you mean there too. (basic marksmanship, short range marksmanship, and a few more) Looking at things now, I am the one who owes and will gladly buy you a beer should we ever have the chance to shake those hands. 

I know this is may not be  the current way of doing things, but the way I was brought up, it works. If we do ever get the chance to meet, you got a free shot, and no I'm not talking about drinks.  I earned it, and would rather have you take it then lose a possibly good friend and experienced instructor giving me good advice  That being said, I hope you don't ghost my posts from here on out. You have my word, such a reaction will never occur again. If possible, Id just like to make it right.

I guess that's all I can say.  I hope you and anyone else reading this gets it, and me.

P.S. For you only Frosty, if you want it and we can somehow personally message each other, I will gladly give you my email and verify anything you'd like, so you know I'm not a BS artist.   No worries one way or the other.

Artureus

1 hour ago, arkie said:

Nothing wrong with using rebar for practice, although sometimes it forges a bit differently from most known steels.  I often use rebar for making dry runs of items with odd shapes, curves, corners, scrolls, etc. so I don't waste the "good" steels I intend to use for the final product.

That's a xxxx  of an idea I hadn't though of.

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Another face ding creator is not having your hammer faces dressed properly.  Especially a problem with "new" hammers.

I imagine that is one of the problems. All I have at the moment are cheap ones (ball peen hammers, small sledges, etc ) which haven't been dressed.

DRESS THEM!    Makes your forging look a LOT better with less work!   Remember we're SMITHS we make and modify tools to suit ourselves!  Generally you don't get the *best* tools when buying new; you get what the manufacturer thinks they can sell the most of and make the cheapest!

Ghost was the wrong term, I enjoy aphasia so words aren't always there for me. What I meant by ghost is to avoid subjects or posts that might get me going. We're likely to feed each other's anger if we aren't careful. Make sense?

I accept your apology and gladly. You're allowed to be upset, take things wrong or be offended. Once you know me a while I'm sure we'll irritate one another more than once. It's called friction, it can't be eliminated, we just lube up and deal. We are bound to catch other folks in bad moods and vis versa.

It only counts as a problem when it'd deliberate abuse. Deliberately abusive people don't last long here, members will speak up and if necessary admin will deal with them. 

One of the things I love most about Iforge is friends I have here who will PM, email or even call me on the phone to let me know I'm going off the rails. A PM is a Private Message. Select the the person you wish to talk or yell to's name of AVATAR next to their post. A window will open up with numerous options There are two blue buttons on top: "Follow" and "Message." Select message and you have privacy to say what you like. 

I hope we're done with this, we had a nothing issue. We're good, it's over or I'll have to stick my tongue out at you if when we meet.

Frosty The Lucky.

George, I have always yearned to visit Ireland, the green countryside and stone walls...and have a pint or two.  As for the Blarney Stone, well....with COVID floating around, that's entirely out of the question.  I'll have to reinforce my DNA another way!  (It's probably closed anyway)

On 3/23/2021 at 12:37 PM, arkie said:

I often use rebar for making dry runs of items with odd shapes, curves, corners, scrolls, etc. so I don't waste the "good" steels I intend to use for the final product.

That is an outstanding piece of advice.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, George N. M. said:

Arkie, the Irish are known for their ability for "soft speaking," the gift of gab.

I may have an English last name but am largely Irish with Dutch and Scot for the 4 main fractions, the rest is a Hines 57 of highbred vigor. I could wish for a little more Modoc Indian, I'd be eligible for some minority goodies, say a non-tourist seat in a sweat lodge or a pow wow would do nicely. 

I spent a couple days composing and editing that post, the TBI makes anger a top response so I REALLY have to keep an iron rein on what I write. Anybody can be eloquent if they rewrite a thing enough times. I got tired of getting in trouble and losing friends, even potential ones.

About the Irish thing, I was wandering through the corner market and noticed Corned Beef was a special so I bought a small one, some taters and a small cabbage. We enjoyed it a couple days later, about 4 days before St. Patrick's day. I was surprised when it was being announced on TV news St. Paddy's Eve. Yes, we have a calendar, I even know where it is but just because it's on the fridge door doesn't mean I LOOK at it you know.

Frosty The Lucky.

But Saint Patrick is the patron saint of engineers!  He invented the worm drive you know...   At a small, once remote, engineering school; St Patrick's Day celebrations got so out of hand that they now schedule spring break against it to get all the students off the campus...

My Father told me some of the things the engineers did to the "ag's"  for St Patrick's Day when he was in college in the mid 1950's...a "rougher" time indeed!