I Forge Iron

Thinking about Oxy-Propane

JHCC

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were smelting iron at Pennsic one year which entails something like 6 hours of cranking a blower---mainly my job---;but  the rest of the group would be cooking over the bloomery, telling tales and singing songs, a touch of C2H5OH might be involved as they would load the charcoal and the ore in and use the punkin' pole to make sure there were no bridges.  Anyway a guest proceeded to declaim "The Shooting of Dan's Guru"  from beginning to end, flawlessly.

I have an old hardcopy of "Rhymes of a Red Cross Man" .

JHCC: you have to be pretty  mean to survive being a Bagpipes player in NYC!

When he opens a gourmet haggis restaurant anywhere within 60 miles or so, I might stop by and check out the expressions of the patrons. 

Bearing in mind I'm a real sissy where "delicacies" are concerned, there are VERY FEW Alaskan native foods I've eaten. Muktuk isn't bad if the whale blubber was frozen soon enough and the seal oil is fresh. Eskimo ice cream gives me heart burn.

At least haggis is cooked. Still . . . <shudder>

Frosty The Lucky.

Agreed, smoked fish of most any kind is good eating. We used to fish for albacore and yellow tail off the California coast and smoked it. 25-30lbs of smoked tuna disappeared amazingly fast at gatherings. 

I used to make smoked moose jerky in the day I hunted. 

Smoked is goooood.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’ve done this thing with salmon in the grill that I call “smoke poaching”: a very small, very smoky fire that just gets the temperature inside the grill up to about 140°-150°F. Salmon cooks up tender and flakey, doesn’t overcook (even if you leave it in for a bit too long), and ends up with a lovely flavor. Salt, pepper, squeeze of lemon — heavenly. 

We called that "hot smoking", good for making dinner, not so great for preservation. But MAN does it make great dinners!

The BEST Thanksgiving turkey I've ever tasted was hot smoked, the temp was held around 170f and after a few hours Chris the chef literally lifted the skeleton out of the bird. There wasn't any slicing that bird it just fell apart, you couldn't hold a drumstick without it turning to a bare bone.

It was truly glorious! No, I don't want another smoker no matter how yummy the food is!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to join the conversation late, but I just started researching this topic. JHCC, any specific reason you want with the Victor over the Hobart? 

The Victor is $75 more and the Universal Nozzle is another $75.  The Hobart can use Uniweld Type 13 which appear to be Propane compatible.  I say appears since I've spent two days poring over tip catalogs and I'm still not sure what everything means, but it also appears the Uniweld Type 4 is propane compatible and can replace the W series. Somebody please correct me if I misread something.

I was leaning toward the Victor, but the tip situation is really driving up the price.

Thanks, Jude

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, Judehey said:

JHCC, any specific reason you want with the Victor over the Hobart? 

Sorry to take a while replying to this, Judehey. I think the deciding factor was the recommendation from teenymetalguy about how much he liked the Victor. I've been very happy with it, as well as with the customer service I've gotten from both Victor and from Cyberweld. As noted above, I've gotten a couple of good deals on tips and nozzles off of eBay. Also as noted above, I couldn't figure out how well the Uniweld stuff would work, and they didn't respond to my email inquiry.

In addition to recommending the Victor torch, I would also recommend getting the largest oxygen cylinder your budget, back, and space can handle. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I'm researching cylinder prices now.

Here's the response I got from Uniweld:

Are Uniweld Type 13 interchangeable with Victor W-1? Yes, these are the cross over for the W-1
Can Type 13 be used with Oxy Propane? Yes
Are Uniweld Type 4 interchangeable with Victor W? Yes, these are the cross over for the W
Can Type 4 be used with Oxy Propane? Yes

So that would mean that that my Victor WH411-C handle could take Uniweld Type 4 tips. Good to know; thank you.

Looking at the Cyberweld website, it seems that the "Victor Medalist 250 AF Heating & Cutting Outfit 0384-2544" has been replaced with the "Victor Medalist 250LP Classic Heating & Cutting Outfit 0384-2583" for about $15 more. The difference appears to be that instead of the WH411-C torch handle that came with my 0384-2544, the 0384-2583 comes with a WH270FC. This is actually a good thing, as the WH270FC has built-in flash arrestors, which the WH411-C does not.