I Forge Iron

Thinking about Oxy-Propane

JHCC

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that exploring various options is pretty worthwhile in itself. If I hadn’t considered other possibilities, I wouldn’t know nearly as much as I do now about ear clamps and how to report potential fraud. 

Cyberweld just let me know that my order has shipped. Looking forward to more flaming fun!

(In particular, I'm toying with the idea of using the rosebud to heat a section of the moving jaw of my post vise and fix that little twist that's been bothering me since I got it.)

The torch has arrived! Looking forward to trying it out once I get some oxygen. 

05F18146-215F-4FED-A525-6D53FF92A3BD.jpeg

In the mean time, I’m building a combination welding cart/torch stand, which is being documented here:

On 4/6/2021 at 10:55 AM, JHCC said:

An interesting tidbit: Cyberweld's site says that the WH411-C (0382-0355) Torch Handle that comes with the Medalist 250 outfit can be used for brazing with the addition of the Victor RTEN (0323-0284) nozzle. This is a couple of hundred bucks, comes with a #6 tip, and has tips from 00 to 8 available for about $15-20 each.

Probably not something I want to invest in at present (I suspect I'd get more use from a gas saver right now), but good info for the future.

Further research in the Victor product catalog reveals a "UN Series Universal Nozzle" (0323-0242) that can fit the 300 series handles and takes TEN tips. It's about $70-$110 online, depending on the vendor; tips (from Cyberweld) would be the same $15-$20.

As discussed in the thread for the welding cart build and the “What did you do in the shop today?” threads, I’ve got the cart (mostly) finished and the torch up and running. Discussion and photos here: 

Very happy so far, and looking forward to further torch work. Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice. 

You're going to love it John. Have you tried upsetting yet? It's not so much so when you can isolate the heat surgically. It gets fun, long section a little short section to 3x thickness, several places exactly where you want. It's easy to get carried away but it's useful practice.

Oh, don't forget creative twisting!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

Update: I found an eBay listing for a "VICTOR TEN-5 Propane/Natural Gas Brazing / Welding Tip". I wasn't able to see from the listing if it would fit my WH411 torch, but decided to take a gamble, especially since (A) "TEN-5" is a Victor designation for a propane-compatible brazing tip and (B) the price (including shipping) was less than a new tip by itself. When it arrived today, I discovered that it DOES fit the torch, but I'm not sure if all of it is indeed Victor. The stem is stamped "BGN-6", which seems to be an American Torch Tip 6" gooseneck, and the mixer is stamped "1-W", which seems to reference the "W" series nozzles that fit the 300 & 400 series torches.

(Addendum: the "1-W" mixer is NOT the same size as a Victor "W-1" mixer, which would fit a 100 series torch but not the WH411-C torch that comes with the Medalist set.)

283FF8C1-9E1E-4571-94C0-2C9F478335B3.jpeg.742bbe362bf4478e43699ba9c3fc509c.jpeg

I still need to get another tank of O₂, so I haven't had a chance to fire it up yet, but things look good so far.

What I'm having trouble with is finding any official Victor chart of pressure settings for propane brazing with a TEN tip. I've contacted Victor to see if they have any helpful info.

UPDATE: Spoke with a nice young man at Victor's customer service department, who shared my puzzlement at the absence of TEN tip pressure settings on the website. However, he did email me a chart of the appropriate pressure settings and flow rates. The short version is that all sizes of TEN tip take 5 psi in fuel (either propane or natural gas) and 15 psi of O₂

Credit where credit is due: that was one of the fastest, most efficient, and most informative calls I've ever had with anyone's customer service anywhere. Well done, Victor.

IForgeIron Blueprints
Copyright 2002 - 2007 IFORGEIRON, All rights reserved.

BP0018 Victor Cutting Tips Guide
by James Joyce

For Cutting

Tip Size ...... Metal thickness .................Oxy Cut Psi .................Acet Psi .................Speed in/min
000...............1/8" .................20-25 .................3-5 ................. 28-32"
00................. 1/4".................20-25 ................3-5 ................. 27-30"
0....................1/2".................25-30 ...............3-5 ................. 24-28"
2....................1"....................35-40 ...............3-6 .................15-19"
3....................2"....................40-45 ................4-8 .................12-15"

For Ox/Ac Welding

Tip # .................Metal Thickness .................Psi Ox/Ac .................Tip in Drill Size .................Tip in Inches
0 .................to 1/32" ................. 3-5 / 3-5 ................. 65 ................. .035
1 ................. 1/32-1/16" ................ 3-5 / 3-5 ................. 60 ..................040
2 ................. 1/16-1/8" ...............3-5 / 3-5 .................56 ................. .046
3 .................1/8-1/4" .................4-7 / 3-6 ................. 53 ................. .060
4 ................. 1/4-3/8" .................5-10 / 4-7 .................49 ................. .073
5 ................ 3/8-1/2" ................. 6-12 / 5-8 .................43 ................. .089

Place the information on the Oxygen tank and cover with clear tape. That way it will be handy when you need it for reference.

You need to consider adding comments after-the-fact to some of the items. For example Joyce suggests taping Victor's cutting guide to the oxygen tank. A good idea until you exchange tanks. However, if you transfer the guide onto a flat "refrigerator magnet", you can transfer the material from tank to tank. You can buy vinyl covered magnetic sheets at Lowe's (and presumably other similar stores). They are sold cover up hot/cold air registers that don't have internal dampers. A pair of 9" x 18" magnets cost me $5 or $6 the last time I got them. 3M's Super 77 spray adhesive works well if you want to paste onto the surface. Magnets can be easily cut to size with a pair is scissors. I have charts and tables "pasted" everywhere. Drill press speeds, welding rod spec's, lathe pulley speeds, resistor colors, etc. One note, if you are putting a paper label onto a magnet to be curved around a tank, do the lamination on the curved tank itself. Lon Crosby

Thanks, Glenn. For some reason, the site isn't even letting me into the Blueprint section at all -- or even showing it on the main page.

As noted in this comment, the tip chart is in a plastic sleeve hanging off my welding cart/torch stand, with the lighting up and shutting down instructions on the other side.

Quick test of the TEN-5 tip. Took a bit of 16 ga. from cold to melting in about ten seconds. 

444B4397-2552-4EC0-98D2-DDE8865936D6.jpeg

Unlike the rosebud (the only tip I’d used hitherto), this tip has a center hole, so I’ll have to learn how getting a neutral flame on this one looks. 

064C0054-81F4-4900-81FA-2AD8B60565BA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple more TEN tips (#0 and #2) on eBay. They were both attached to UN-1 universal nozzles that don’t fit my torch, but the tips do fit the BGN-6 gooseneck. 

AA3372B6-F599-46DF-9CC7-AFD3AEC144FA.jpeg

All of this together was less than the cost of a new TEN tip, and I hope to recoup some of it by selling the universal nozzles off my tailgating table at Quad-State. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More news: I finally got around to trying out cutting, which was a LOT of fun. However, I discovered that when I’d originally placed my order with Cyberweld, I’d mistakenly specified the extra 00 cutting tip in Victor’s 1-GPN size instead of 3-GPN (the Medalist 250 kit comes with a 1-3-GPN cutting tip standard). Oops.

Here’s the good part: I sent an email to Cyberweld explaining my mistake and asking if I could exchange the 1-GPN for a 3-GPN.  They immediately replied that this was no problem, even though it’s been seven months since I received the order. They don’t carry the 00-3-GPN, but they will send me a 0-3-GPN once they get the 00-1-GPN back in the mail.

I do love good customer service!

I just read, "The Knife and the Naked Chalk" by Kipling and now I'm watching a volcano while listening to filk songs. If haggis was mentioned I missed it. NOT that I MISS haggis, that's an unrealized experience I'm in no hurry to . . . What's THAT?

Frosty The Lucky.