I Forge Iron

Old safety glasses

JHCC

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what we call Darwin at work, over here they tell us bears are more scared of us then we of them and if you jest make noise they will keep very far away from you. I would rather be safe then sorry, I don't like things that will just eat me a bit slower when I punch them.

Sometimes getting through constipation uninjured is the best you can hope for.

It's true Deimos, it's not that bears are more afraid of us but for the most part they'd rather be left alone. If you make enough noise as you walk they'll give you way. Now if one of the curious cubs comes over to check out the new smell you're screwed. 

There's a joke about the old advice to wear little jingle bells so you don't surprise a bear. You can tell lots of people wear jingle bells, half the bear piles have them. 

Frosty The Lucky.

That’s from the bears who are upset that people didn’t also bring salt. 

Update on the glasses: 

It was very humid and cool in the shop today, so there was condensation on EVERYTHING — including the glasses — and even with the additional friction from the tubing, they kept slipping forward. Otherwise, they were very comfortable and effective, even when I got a spray of grinding sparks in the face. I’ll clean them up and try the shaving cream trick to see if that helps with the fogging. More as it comes. 

My current safety glasses have a strap that goes around the back of the head, just enough so it does not slide down, would something like that help? Or would that be very uncomfortable?

With bears I don't think I would put my thrust in anything other then a shotgun and actual knowledge about what makes a bear do bear things.

And just like that, I changed my mind. Having just gotten the deposit for a custom hatchet, I decided to buy another pair that's quite similar to the first pair, but with an elastic strap. 
Image 5 - Vtg-Willson-Safety-Glasses-Side-Mesh-Metal-Side-Bars-With-Straps-Steampunk-Rusty

From what I can tell in the photos, it shouldn't be difficult to replace the straps if the elastic is worn out. I'll keep you all posted.

Well, the new glasses arrived. The frames were a bit twisted, but that’s been fixed. Here they are:

6D8F2821-0A22-41D5-B4E8-06DCA7411D6B.jpeg

These are Willsons, and as you can see, they’re a bit bigger than the pair from Saniglass. 

D9916E34-9894-40C9-95D1-7D47CA7CCE6F.jpeg

There’s still some decent stretch to the elastic, but that will be easy to replace when it wears out. The fit is decent:

4A28262F-C7A5-4749-BD69-8B9F7D42A462.jpeg

I haven’t tried them in the shop yet, but I’m looking forward to it. 

Update: put about 5-1/2 hours in the shop today with the new glasses. I started with the Willsons and liked them very much. Unfortunately, the elastic broke as I was trying to adjust it, so I switched to the Saniglasses. They did much better this time, with no fogging and no slipping. Both pairs are great, but I do think I like the fit in the larger Saniglasses a bit better. 

C60FCDB6-D4F5-4E96-BD75-7E14CF236409.jpeg

John, 

I think I was looking at those exact glasses the other day on Etsy. Almost bought them myself but I wasn't sure if I would be able to replace the lenses with the dark lenses that I have. Just by looking at the picture, I can't figure out how or if the frames allow for replacement lenses. Do they? 

• 3 weeks later...