I Forge Iron

bowie knife for school project

M.J.Lampert

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M.J.:  I suggest that you should not be done with grinding quite yet.  You need to square up the area between the tang and the blade so that the guard will fit in against the blade snuggly.  Also, and this is a personal decision but I'd continue to grind the flats of the blade to get rid of the hammer marks.  I know some people like to leave them to show that it is "hand made" but that makes the blade look unfinished to me and that the maker was in too much of a hurry or didn't care enough to do that last bit of work.  Your call.

Good luck on the hardening and tempering.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Well you don't want a sharp corner as that would be a stress riser right at the weakest point.  But a much smaller gullet would work.   Bowie knives were sold by the barrel in the 19th century by the cutlers in Sheffield England and with a high level of fit and finish.  Some cruder "homemade" ones did get used in the US Civil War, (See the D guard bowies).  In general knives were finished out smooth as they work better and are easier to clean that way.

I agree with the three previous comments. As I see it, one can either grind a knife completely smooth or leave it with a cleanly hammered surface all over (other than the edge, of course), because both of those show consistent finish and a reasonable level of skill. Leaving something half-ground, on the other hand, just looks like the smith didn't have the hammer control to get an evenly forged finish or the patience to get an evenly ground one.

and today.

the pins are brass, guard is 1"x1/8th mild steel tacked to blade as said before blade is leaf spring quenched in canola oil. 90% of finishing done with an angle grinder, handle (the last 10%) was done with a milling machine and orbital sander

had a few small fitting problems but figure after having my first 3 blades crack/shatter before I got close to starting handles, i can easily accept those few minor imperfections:):ph34r:

100_1847.thumb.JPG.ce0c42df82d016316f960e7ce106c0bd.JPG

100_1849.thumb.JPG.0d34df35fbc46264a5115870bc75bc93.JPG

100_1854.thumb.JPG.f5992909e9e870729929e8ffa5a7a4e2.JPG

100_1856.thumb.JPG.69ee7f8d05fc9468e0c6046be8034db3.JPG

Scrimshaw is the art of scratching a design into bone, antler, or ivory and then rubbing ink into the scratches so that it stands out. Perhaps the best known examples are the ones made on sailing ships (especially whalers) by ordinary seamen as a way to pass the time and to have something to sell when they got to port. 

Scrimshaw was also done in England by prisoners of war who had fought for Napoleon, from the bones out of the communal soup kettles. 

Like jhcc recommended- id round those handles scales a little more, make it a much comfortable grip.

You could cheat if you have access to a sandblasting cabinet, or hand held blaster... make a mask for it, blast the artwork and then paint it. Call it... modernized scrimshaw.

20180424_004116.jpg

20180423_134358.jpg

Wouldn't a modern scrimner use a tattoo gun? Keep an eye out for one, I'll bet a lot of tattooists are selling them cheap right now. 

Hmmmm, A little creative grinding on small tig tungstens might let a boy scrimshaw steel or better. Engraver maybe.

Frosty The Lucky.