I Forge Iron

1718 Puckle Gun redux

So now. The trunnions are now in place. The receiver to barrel is a shrink fit, so i heated the receiver to 400 degrees F and checked the id until it read .005 over the barrel’s od. Picked it up by the trunnions and it slid onto the barrel and seated perfectly. The barrel was stepped and the receiver turned to match, so when fitted, locked into place.

C051DF57-6051-4AB9-92C8-25376B4DEB22.jpeg.48351235b5714b9832c6891a0f542326.jpeg88C77AA3-BE36-48C5-9DA3-8652B9167713.jpeg.2c97e6c26bf5aa43b4429b23d2c0eca3.jpeg8D36B687-A31C-46FA-B5F8-3D16B4053889.jpeg.4788c89307962531995321807ad49f62.jpegA8D1F68E-4F15-45FF-B574-1E8E6501FA4D.jpeg.0672fd317f54382cadaa4e37c2364043.jpeg

2 minutes ago, arkie said:

Frosty, that's an example of an interference fit we were "talking" about

Why are you naming me to point out the obvious? I know what an interference fit is, have since I was maybe 9 yo. Perhaps pointing the obvious out to folk who were uncertain would be more profitable, than to someone who's been explaining interference fit joinery since the internet went public?

Frosty The Lucky.

Dear A:  Thanks for the info.  I suppose in the Puget Sound area you can find things like pieces of naval guns.  Much harder to do here where we are 1000 miles from blue water.  I've always wanted to build a rifled falconette from a 37mm or 40mm barrel.

I suppose that you know that in the late 19th century one of the ways to control recoil before hydraulics was to have friction pads on the sliding portion of the carriage which were tightened before firing and loosened to return the gun to battery.

It might be interesting to test your toy for penetration against wood or metal.

Do you have any information on the photo of the gun with the guy in the kepi?  I can't decide if it is a signalling gun, a boat howitzer, a landing gun or something else.  The carriage looks too heavy for a signalling gun.  Also, I can't tell if it is a breech loader or a muzzle loader.  It kind of looks like he is opening the breech.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Do you have any information on the photo of the gun with the guy in the kepi?  I

That cannon is in fact a US army breech loading mortar from 1900. 
  As for barrel availability, in the 1970s through to 1990s demiled artillery was an easy find at scrapyards near military bases and army surplus stores. Mostly obsolete AA barrels in 40mm, but other stuff too. All mostly ww2 and Korean war scrap. I had a eight foot long section of 3 inch ordnance rifle barrel that i was making into a full scale civil war Whitworth gun. I traded an old Springfield 03-A3 for it. These days, i see 20mm vulcan barrels and not much else. Its mostly because missiles and rockets have replaced most artillery.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yeah, sorry. I've had a cookie since replying and it wasn't an issue at all. Darn blood sugar and time limit on edits. <sigh> I humbly withdraw my response.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey, no harm done.  I went back and re-read my original comment and it did sound like I was telling YOU how it worked...not at all my intent.  I often have problems expressing my real intent...senior moment is my bailout.  As for me, I'm about to dig into some banana cream pudding with sliced bananas........

Thomas:  That looks like the breech and a barrel section of either a 16 or 14 inch naval rifle (based on the water bottle for scale).  I suspect that it was used for high velocity testing of some sort at either White Sands or NMSM.  Is there still rifling in the barrel section?  IIRC some of the guns were bored out to smooth bore for some tests.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yes there is still rifling in the barrel.  There is a story about an old President of NM Tech accepting some Naval surplus guns not realizing how big they actually were and the Railroad not being happy that they were tying up some special heavy weight RR cars and them finally getting cut in half, buried and used to store radioactive research materials....wish I had a Geiger counter!

On 9/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, arkie said:

Hey, no harm done.

Exactly my thought and I should've gone to something else. I was feeling my inner curmudgeon that morning, was too gruff with someone else too. 

Banana cream pie is really good, anytime. Well maybe not while driving but still. Mmmmmm. The snickerdoodle I had worked a treat and was darned yummy.

Now I'm thinking I should make a banana cream pie with a snickerdoodle crust. Hmmm? Ginger snap crust really perks things up. Mmmmm, pie.:wub:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, my son was in town this past weekend and made us his specialty....buttermilk pie.  I never knew what went into making it, but it sure is good.  I watched him make it...contained only about 1/2 cup buttermilk but had 2 CUPS OF SUGAR!!!....I was comatose all day.  I'm pre-diabetic, but that pie just about put me away!!

I had a recliner once. Don’t know who got the most use out of it. Seemed the moment i found time to set in it and git my feet up, the wife of that era would just remember something that needed doing right now ! Come back and find either the cats or the dog, or all cozied up on it. Obviously no good to me. I think the sight of me relaxing just annoyed that wife so much she just had to come up with something to keep me out of it. I lived just on the outskirts of Prescott Arizona at the time. I hauled it out to the woods and built a blind around it and used it for bagging squirrels, rabbits and doves with an old Stevens .22 short using bb caps. Cheese unt krakers on a raft! Was i ever that young! Hard to believe that was  nearly 50 years ago!

• 1 year later...

Wow, dude, you're a real genius! How can you do this on an ideal scale and never ruin anything? In fact, my hands don't grow from where they should, so I always admire people who can do something like this and their products. I would really like to learn how to do the same, but unfortunately I can't... My father has his own workshop and no matter how many times I undertake to do something, it still does not work out. I'm a big fan of guns and would like to make a gun myself, but it's easier for me to buy it and upgrade it myself. For example, last month I bought a sight here Remove commercial link and he installed it on his rifle. But it doesn't take a lot of intelligence to establish the details. Therefore, what I do cannot be compared with your work in any way. You're a xxxxxxx genius!!!

Edited by Mod30
Language

Ha! I’ve got a cannon too!

It would go great on a ship! Maybe a model of a ship. A model of a ship maybe a little bigger than a shoe box. 

Fires balls slightly smaller than .177 caliber, using black cat firecracker powder and fuses. 

You’ll have to zoom in to see it. 

A8822E2F-DF38-4DA8-971B-B984F37E9AEE.thumb.jpeg.e956d99eb9593dc97ba3946afcc8b083.jpeg

I do have a small brass cannon somewhere that looks to be around .45 caliber. I haven’t had time to fully investigate it. It does have a fuse hole on the back so I’m assuming it was built to at least fire loose powder with no projectile. Found it at a flea market, but it’s still packed away somewhere after our move this past summer. 

Doesn't everyone have a cannon?  I remember a friend being annoyed when I pointed out that his cannon made from a 20mm barrel could be shot out of my cannon with a 2" bore.  (I've seen a 16" gun on a battleship and a parrot gun on Sandy Hook so I know my 2"'r is small beans in the greater cannon world.)

Back in the '50s my brother and a friend built a cannon, for their metal shop high school class final grade. They bored the barrel to fit soda pop can's filled with plaster and made the carriage from some old buggy parts and new wood. Caused quite a commotion when the teacher had them load a round with black powder and fire it at a large dirt pile behind the gym. The charge was set off with a fuse that my brother made in chemistry class. Boy those were the days.:o

In jr. high I made a cannon that roughly resembled a Civil war ship's cannon. No, I don't recall what I copied other than a picture in the class history book. I bored it to fire marbles and the shop teacher told me if the bore and touch hole met I'd never take another shop class in California. A friend made the carriage as his wood shop final and we both earned As on the final assembly. 

Well as soon as we got out grades we hit Dad's shop and I made the bore and touch hole meet. We loaded it and fired it at the McClay canyon wash where we did this sort of stuff. The carriage didn't survive one shot, literally blew it to splinters.

From then on we fired it backed against something heavy like a boulder  or piece of angle iron driven into the ground. 1/2 tsp of 3f black powder would put a marble through a car. A duplex load of 3f and smokeless pistol powder put a fist size hole in the water jackets of an engine.

Next time I see my little Sister I'll have to see if she knows where it is, the folks saved it so it's in there somewhere.

Frosty The Lucky.