I Forge Iron

Hydraulic press dies/tooling/jigs

5S forge (Clint)

Good day fellow smiths 

I am researching dies, tooling, jigs, etc. for hydraulic presses for the purpose of creating a video about making and using said tooling.

Looking through post , pictures and videos I have found a few scattered bits of info , But not a great source that goes into detail like I think would be helpful to people.

My intentions are to have a video with a general overview of different types of tooling and there purpose, maybe a few safety tips or do's and don'ts 

Then have a series of videos making and using each of the dies, tooling etc.

I know from reading thousands of post on here that there is lots of sharp people on this forum and i'd like to borrow your knowledge for making a helpful source of information that we can all learn from.

Please post pictures of  your Dies, tooling , jigs or anything else that may fall into this category. 

Thanks,

Clint 

I was wondering what level of forge press expertise you bring to the project to make it educational. Just collecting a lot of pictures and videos isn't enough to make a worthwhile video, you have to know what's going on to edit into a useful form.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Good morning guys, sorry if I was a little unclear in my original post.

First of all to the question about free or selling videos.   Absolutely free as long as you can get on youtube.

also I was not wanting to use your actual picture or videos , It was more for tips or new ideas to include in me making tooling in my shop.

I started almost 21 years ago with a wheelbarrow tub and a hairdryer for a charcoal forge, and of coarse the infamous RR track anvil.

In those 21 years I have learned many cool little tricks from old timers and i'm sure you guys have too,  I'd like to share some of those with people that are just starting out or people that just finished a press and need to make tooling .

most anybody that has ever looked at a press can automatically see that they need flat dies and drawing dies but i think we can dig way deeper than that. like maybe a snazzy little tool for making tongs or a tapering die that actually works.   I have a good bit of S7 laying around and some 4140 that I was thinking of using for this project. A lot of my dies were made in a hurry with whatever I could find laying around because I was so anxious to start squishing things. 

I'd like to go back and make some really nice dies  , maybe even a shelf of caddy to hold them instead of being piled up at the base of my press.

Thanks,

Clint. 

• 1 year later...

Maybe not. Or maybe commenting on his thread will send an email alert (it does for me) that prompts his return. Either way it doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Maybe it even prompts another member to post something pertinent to the original post. 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.