I Forge Iron

hybridburners, no response?

Boggster

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My experience with Ti was that is forged really easy at yellow, almost to easy, but when it dropped to red it was almost the same as hitting it cool. (I was afraid to take it above yellow! I really didn’t want it to burn! It my understanding that Ti will burn like magnesium... not sure if that correct.)

David

Yes Ti will burn; I've seen machine shop warnings for it.  Never managed to get it burning in a forge; but never tried. Instructions for putting it out are a bit more amusing than I want to deal with it!  I don't own a "Class D Fire Extinguisher".  Forging it is somewhat like the air hardening HSS: thwap, thwap thwap,TING!

I find steel more useful; but Ti more "impressive" with the crowd.

Ti is easiest to light on a lathe or grinding wheel, the shavings can be quite the show. Hotter and much harder to put out than magnesium. Dad spun a LOT of Ti and the trick to not burning holes in the lathe beds and floor was to trim shavings small enough they burned out before hitting the lathe bed. He had one good class D fire once when one of the spinners didn't clean out the al shavings in the lathe before switching to Ti parts. The al had a layer of spinning lube on it when trimmed so it didn't oxidize and lit right up when burning Ti shavings landed in it. Burned a hole in the lathe bed and almost a foot into the floor but the spalling concrete scattered it and it went out without further damage. 

Scary stuff but not easy to get burning. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I haven’t gotten a response from Rex at Hybridburners either! Anyone know if he’s still in the business of selling burners? After a lot of research I decided a ‘Shorty’ burner would be the best choice for my mini forge build, but now things are at a standstill until I can order a burner!

Welcome aboard Dustin, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

From folks questions and comments here I don't think Rex has been responding for anything for better than a year now.  

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Dustin U said:

I haven’t gotten a response from Rex at Hybridburners either! Anyone know if he’s still in the business of selling burners? After a lot of research I decided a ‘Shorty’ burner would be the best choice for my mini forge build, but now things are at a standstill until I can order a burner!

The Shorty is a 1/2" burner size. Here's a fun fact: Starting with 1/2" and decreasing, the smaller a burner's size the hotter it tends to be. What I'm suggesting is, at the size your interested in, building a really hot burner is a very small problem. Oh, but small burners harder to build right? Yup, but that problem starts at 3/8" and gets harder as you go smaller. In many ways, a 1/2" burner is the easiest size to build right; just a thought :)

21 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

The Shorty is a 1/2" burner size. Here's a fun fact: Starting with 1/2" and decreasing, the smaller a burner's size the hotter it tends to be. What I'm suggesting is, at the size your interested in, building a really hot burner is a very small problem. Oh, but small burners harder to build right? Yup, but that problem starts at 3/8" and gets harder as you go smaller. In many ways, a 1/2" burner is the easiest size to build right; just a thought :)

I’m brand new to this, building a decent burner seems above my level of know-how. I planned to use the Shorty burner for brazing and wood-charring as well as a forge-burner. 

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Dustin, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance. 

From folks questions and comments here I don't think Rex has been responding for anything for better than a year now.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. Any chance you could sell me a burner for a (roughly) 125 cubic inch forge? Haha

2 hours ago, Dustin U said:

I’m brand new to this, building a decent burner seems above my level of know-how. I planned to use the Shorty burner for brazing and wood-charring as well as a forge-burner. 

Larry Zoeller Forge sells parts for his latest hot burner design; it's cheap and simple.

Ron Reil's burner pages are posted on the Web. You can use the instructions to build a smaller 1/2" burner; employing my changes (also posted there) they are easy to build and quite hot, and faily simple.

Frosty's "T" burner instructions are listed on this site; several people have posted their 1/2" version of it, on this group. I suggest you go with this one, because Frosty is available to bug for details, and doesn't have enough to do :)

You could build my burner, but it's much harder to build, and the inventor is cranky and querulous, while we all know that Frosty is a soft touch; yes, he's the smart choice :D