I Forge Iron

6" Post Vise

PWS

When I was out and about today I spied with my little eye a 40" v.h. post vise with an 18" spread from outer jaw closed to post...I'll be going back tomorrow with some cash...Appears it might need some Loving...sounds good to Me...Cheers Peter.

We usually rate postvises by the jaw width: 4", 4.5", 5",...8"  and if they are "light" == "gracile" or heavy == "robustus" . Height varies all over the place and not too many of us need excessively large throws on them.  I have held a full sized welding tank I was cutting up in one of my 6" vises so that was close to a foot in diameter as I recall.

Check out the screw and screwbox; everything else can be fixed with an arc welder or built in a forge. The screw and screwbox are the difficult and expensive thing to replace!

If you get it please post a picture; grin mandatory...

This is it 6" jaws...I did not buy it....but I did buy a Silver Manufacturing Salem Ohio No 532 wall/post mount drill press...Cheers to all.

PIC-A (1).jpg

PIC-A (2).jpg

WALL PRESS (1).jpg

WALL PRESS (2).jpg

WALL PRESS (3).jpg

WALL PRESS (4).jpg

WALL PRESS (5).jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.

Howdy caotropheus,a very relevant question of our times....(sometimes you are on a Winner)...Normally I would travel to the Junk shop 1st and then to my daughters as the daughter lives closer to me.For no particular reason I went to the daughters 1st and discovered  with this virus lock down and reduced working hours she was a little short on running money.  So I put $200. in her hand (that's a winner) then when I left headed to the junk shop a little lighter...( I do not use plastic only COD)...Now a little short for the VISE -I liked the idea of doing up the Drill Press...guaranteed I will pick up the post vise in the next couple of days....All a sign of the times....Regards peter...I'll post some pics later.

I tried not to buy it but i couldn't not buy it !!!!    So now my next project-cleanup...Cheers to all.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:18 AM, PWS said:

Caotropheus I just had to buy it...cheers.

I know the feeling...IFI Vises has a few threads on vices "I just had to buy them". Now, clean it and show us some pictures of the vice in action. Vices are compared to each other according to jaw width but out of curiosity, how much this beauty weighs?

Graded on jaw width and if they are heavy duty or light weight; what I refer to as "robustus" or "gracile".   I like a light weight one for traveling and a heavy one for pounding.  I have two vises with the same jaw width but one is close to twice the weight of the other with a stout leg.  Perhaps I can get a picture of them side by side this weekend.

"How are the threads on the screw and box? That's the heart and soul of a vise."   Strongly agree!

On 4/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, caotropheus said:

I know the feeling...IFI Vises has a few threads on vices "I just had to buy them". Now, clean it and show us some pictures of the vice in action. 

Howdy caotropheus the beauty weighs in at 155 lb or 70 kg's...Cheers from Aussieland...Being new to this field of endeavor I'm unsure if this is good -bad or otherwise.Just trying it out it has an unbelievable grip regards Peter.

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Howdy to all,Finished cleaning up the pole vise to a state i'm pleased with....I will now chase down a piece of suitable Red Gum and Plate steel as a mount...It certainly has a  ferocious grip...6" jaws  155lb...Cheers.

pic-1.jpg

pic-2.jpg

pic-3.jpg

pic-4.jpg

pic-05.jpg