I Forge Iron

Finally building a real shop!

OK, ladies and gentlemen, I have permission from the boss lady to build my shop.  I have a decent space, 21'x20', though it does need some work.  It's going to take some time to clear out the space (yes, that is a car hood on the ground, there is actually two...), and then level it out.  THe building itself needs some shoring up, but I already have a roof and two walls!  I think I will leave the floor dirt, but sink some concrete pillars to support the beam hammer, anvil and vice stands.  I have 220 available in the building, so I will be able to install any electrical I need.  I am planning to build the third wall and have a 10 foot rolling door on the front.

I've included my idea for layout.  I will have the two forges, and wanted to have a fairly equal distance from each to the beam hammer, anvil and vise.  I'm planning on an 8" round, 3' tall quench tank by each forge, and I've got lots of room for tool racks.  I even have some built in storage over the front opening!  Thoughts, suggestions and critiques welcome!  

20200403_122430.jpg

20200403_122230.jpg

20200403_122343.jpg

20200403_122401.jpg

Trail Head Forge.png

Looks like a great space to me! I like the inclusion of planned locations for fire extinguishers! I'd suggest maybe a water tank/bucket?

I've got a 5 gallon bucket that I've used a couple times already just to cool down messed up pieces of steel to prevent using my fire extinguishers!! lol.

And, just curious- but what's the make of the little yellow car?

Car hoods make great log skids, just punch two holes, add chain and attach to vehicle. Keeps the butt of the log from turning into a plow.

Just my suggestion: get a cheap paint sprayer and some cheap white paint, and do the whole inside. You will not believe what a difference it makes on the light level.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, Welshj said:

what's the make of the little yellow car?

That is my son's car.  He bought it with his detassling money last year, when he was 15.  It's a 1972 Honda A600.  First Honda sold in the US.  It needs a LOT of work!  I do have my 5 gal water bucket, and I keep a small can of water by the anvil for cooling punches and  chisels.  Thanks for the input!

6 hours ago, Trail Head Forge said:

That is my son's car.  He bought it with his detassling money last year, when he was 15.  It's a 1972 Honda A600. 

That's awesome!  Sounds like he's got a great head start on learning the meaning of working with his hands.

Great year too. (My birth year) I have an affinity for little cars for some reason- especially faster ones! I have a couple, one is obviously a project & the other my daily driver. And both are the reason I'm usually broke.:D

20170813_105600.jpg

20180714_193432.jpg

7 hours ago, John McPherson said:

Car hoods make great log skids, just punch two holes, add chain and attach to vehicle. Keeps the butt of the log from turning into a plow.

True. On the farm we had a hood from a late sixties giant boat of a car's hood that was used to drag all kinds of things across the field if the trailer was overkill. They're easier to load too.

Pnut

6 hours ago, Welshj said:

have an affinity for little cars for some reason- especially faster ones!

I used to have a Toyota starlet. It was like driving a shoebox. I like small cars myself. I've had quite a few VW's back when you could get them for next to nothing and throw a bigger engine in it for cheap and have an alright little car. My favorite was a little mix and match Ghia that had an 1800cc engine and I had a Thing that I loved. The days of the $200 VW fastback or campmobile are long gone. I seen one not too long ago and stopped but the guy wanted like $8000.

Pnut

This is pretty funny.  I had a friend with a Thing in my Army days, definitely a unique car.  Tim's little honda has a 2 cylinder motorcycle engine, max speed of 65.  In other words, perfect for a 16 year old.  It's even funnier that he is 6'2", so he looks ridiculous in it.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, Trail Head Forge said:

It's even funnier that he is 6'2", so he looks ridiculous in it.

And? Oh really....:D:D actually that is hilarious. 

I'm 6'1" and the wife's 5'3"- she complains about getting in my fiat all the time. Lol... 

Thanks for your service brother. 4th ID Iraq vet myself.

20180714_193552.jpg

I have a down draft forge that was using a VW hood for the downdraft part when I bought it.

Before I can critique your forge lay out I would have to know what you plan to be making in it!  My smithy usually doesn't have water in the building as I like to do a lot of HC stuff.  It's also fireproof so there is another reason.  I'm wondering if you can make a borax whitewash for the walls...

If you are not doing a lot of rings the anvil orientation looks like you will be wanting a peg leg to go with the eyepatch.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in response, sir!  I plan to do a little of everything.  I want to do some artsy stuff, but also am setting up to do knives.  I wasn't planning on whitewashing the walls, at least until I close off the front.  It's very open and well ventilated missing that 4th wall!  I would like, someday to do gates and such, but we shall see how the skill develops.  Not sure why the anvil orientation suggests amputation?  Is it that the horn is pointing at one of the forges?  Thanks again, all, for the help!

If the horn is pointing along a direction you use to quickly move from the forge to the anvil; there is a high possibility that you will gunch yourself on it sometime.  Yours is pointing toward the coal forge; as I do my billet welding in coal I'm likely to be moving *fast* between forge and anvil and not concentrating on where the horn is at.

3rd ID here, thanks from me my brothers in arms. 

Car hoods make good sleds in the winter also. Used to have a Nissn 240sx Sylvia. Great little drifting car. 

I may suggest adding a fire extinguisher next to the exit of your shop. 

Yeah, I'm with Thomas on the anvil placement and the probability of REALLY deep bruising. I'd move it to the close end of the beam hammer and find another place for it. If the beam hammer is going to be a home build power hammer I'd look into a tire hammer, they have a much smaller foot print and if you like the deeper throat of a beam hammer a little tweaking will give a tire hammer one as well. 

Looking at the photos I'd say you could use the open area next to the smithy proper for assembly and large bench space and make the general smithy more narrow without losing effectiveness.

My biggest piece of advice for you now is "Do NOT make anything permanent you don't absolutely have to until you've play tested things for a while. Trying to get it "right" without knowing what you'll need is a recipe for mistakes. Do NOT make them permanent mistakes. Yes?

That is a SWEET space, you'll be able to do anything you want in it. 

Frosty The Lucky.