I Forge Iron

Improvised Anvil

Back to personal preference again: I like my peens, cross and straight, large and smooth; my favorite straight peen looks like a 1" dia rod welded onto the hammer and I use it along with an anvil horn to draw in 1 dimension.  However I also have a narrow peen that I use for ornamental work like ginko leaves.

I know other smiths here like smaller peens for all their work which is great---makes the large peen hammers cheaper and more abundant at the fleamarkets!

And after *many* years I have finally picked up a diagonal peen sledge.  As soon as I have electricity in the shop I will dress it and handle it and see if it helps when striking. I remember at a SOFA meeting one smith took a commercial square face double face single jack and heated it up and put it in a hydraulic press on a 45 and in two bites per face made a double diagonal peen hammer with alternating directions.   Using a head that had the flats on the corners already and it was rather trivial to get a beautiful result.

if you can mount it solidly at the right height im sure it will feel a lot better and help you on your learning curve.

another option perhaps for the future might be to flip it 90 degrees clockwise ( as viewed from the first photo) and then build a base to hold and support it solidly. the working face would be smaller but it would have more mass under the hammer and you would also be able to use the round section as a horn for drawing out.

for now the big wide surface will help you to position the work and not be dropping things all the time whilst learning. 

Ok, here is a report back. I havent dressed the hammer yet, but I did a test someone mentioned. I set piece of wood about 1/4 inch thick on the anvil. A gave it a whack (like I would when forging), and there was a nice circle in the wood. It feels comfy too (before the picture it was a foot tall, made my back hurt). I also like the peen, it works nice. Now I have got a question. So as you can see the hammer has a plastic (I think) handle. Most blacksmith hammers I have seen have a nice wooden handle that is contoured to the hand of the weilder. I am pretty happy with my hammer head, but I dont know if a wooden handle is better. Is it a good idea to remove the current handle and buy wood? Any advice? (I know that this is an anvil thread, so sorry about that) God Bless

Just on the other side of the intersection from Walmart in fargo is a Harbor Freight on Main Ave.  They have a  2 Lb. Hardwood Engineer's Hammer for under $6. Plus you can get a 20% off coupon on line.  They also have a 3# cross pein for under $9 which I think would be too heavy for a beginner.  Both have wooden handles.  

The 2# hammer has 2 faces so you can practice your dressing skills.

Why remove and replace the plastic handle? Use it to compare plastic to wood and make your own decision.

While your there pick up some safety glasses, a full face shield, and some ear plugs.  It will save you a trip later.

I happily pay US$1 for a decent sized ball peen, may go to $2 for a huge or hand forged one. Dealers keep telling me that you can't find them for that; but I'm working on my third 5 gallon bucket full bought that way. Traded one bucket off for some steel I needed and I'd take one to Quad-State and double my money on them.  A lot of beginners like to make hawks from them and so my classes use up some too.  Of course I am usually buying just the heads.  Not a problem when they will be going in the forge and so need re-handling anyway.

BTW being "stuck" at home is a great time to make handles and rehandle hammers that need it.