I Forge Iron

Hay Budden Farrier Anvil 136

kdekren

Anvils are cheaper in the UK and more expensive in Australia; where you are at we don't know!  Price can vary by over a dollar a pound just withing the USA depending on *where*.

What's the ball bearing test result for it?

I'd start at US$4 a pound in these parts and go up from there. On the coasts, $5/# and up.

8 hours ago, CtG said:

We'll need more to go off of. Pictures of markings? Weight? Where in the world are you? All very important pieces of information to be able to help you further. 

Sorry,I live in North Dakota,it weighs 134 pounds,ball bearing test good

20200320_121312_resized.jpg

20200320_121344_resized.jpg

I'm sorry but  I don't consider "good" to be a "good" answer for the ball bearing test.  We've had folks call 50% good and others 95% good here before; best to give a percentage and let the person looking at it decide if it matches their definition of "good".

Nice size for a starter/travel anvil, good brand, condition looks good.  I'd start it at the upper end if you need the $$$.  (Of course the local market plays a big part too.  I've seen a number of anvils for sale out here at top prices that usually don't sell as there isn't a lot of money out here for "luxuries".)

Since most folks getting started would do just as well, if not better, forging on an improvised anvil at US 20 cents a pound; a London pattern anvil at $5-6 a pound *is* a luxury.    

Frankly I wouldn't buy any used anvil at the current prices and would look at new ones like the Acciaio cast steel anvil if I had to buy one.

If they want you to make an offer I'd go with $2 a pound.

Remember that when asking for information GIGO holds.

We are passionate about anvils, we are blacksmiths! If you come here looking for information and someone does their level best to answer your questions in the best way possible I do not see what the problem is. The more information Thomas has the better guess at a fair price he can make based on his experience. Yes some people would consider an anvil a luxury item as you can survive without one.  

Just me two cents,

W

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Since most folks getting started would do just as well, if not better, forging on an improvised anvil at US 20 cents a pound; a London pattern anvil at $5-6 a pound *is* a luxury.    

Frankly I wouldn't buy any used anvil at the current prices and would look at new ones like the Acciaio cast steel anvil if I had to buy one.

If they want you to make an offer I'd go with $2 a pound.

Remember that when asking for information GIGO holds.

I thank you for your time sir

3 hours ago, Steven NY said:

We are passionate about anvils, we are blacksmiths! If you come here looking for information and someone does their level best to answer your questions in the best way possible I do not see what the problem is. The more information Thomas has the better guess at a fair price he can make based on his experience. Yes some people would consider an anvil a luxury item as you can survive without one.  

Who said there was a problem,I feel like Peter Griffith walking backwards on egg shells

2 hours ago, kdekren said:

I live in North Dakota

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. You also might want to read that thread JHCC linked about using the quote feature, it will help you stay off the moderators radar.

Good Morning KD,

With the two Pritchel Holes, is that a Henry Wright? Not many had that feature, unless someone got loose with a Drill.

Don't take the conversation serious. There are quite a few who ask a similar question. We can't see inside your meaning, unless you express yourself. It is worth exactly what you think it should be worth. If you think it is worth less and someone is asking more, at that point, it is not worth what they are asking. Price is always a fluid point. That Anvil looks to be in quite good shape, it is worth more than some of the broken, beat up specimens we see here.

Asking price is never the end price. Looking at an Anvil and playing the, 'That is all that I have' and laying the money down on top of the Anvil. Be prepared to walk away if they are firm on a figure that is too much. You may accidently have a few extra bills tucked away in your car. "I'll have to see if I can find some more".

Neil