I Forge Iron

Finished Bridgeton Mill door

About a month ago the owner of the Bridgeton Mill approached me about making an "IRON DOOR" for his mill entrance. He wanted me to incorporate an old steel wheel he had bought at an auction into the design. I finished the door and installed it this morning. He was very happy with it and his wife was even happier.
The Door frame and bars are 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" x 1/4" square tubing and the outter frame is 2" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" angle iron. Once the door was welded up the tubing was textured with an airhammer with a pointed bit to make it look pitted and worn.
The wheel was wider than the door so it had to be cut down to fit the frame. The wheel hub had to be cut down and the wheel offset in the frame so it will not hit the the inner door ( the inner door now needs redone).
The Cattails are forged from 3/4" black pipe and the leaves are forged from 1/4" x 3/4" flat stock. The hinges are hand rolled on the anvil and then drifted to fit 1/2" hinge Pins.
All in all the job went well with out any surprises during installation.The ugly guy in the picture is me.

John

7372.attach

7373.attach

7374.attach

7375.attach

7376.attach

7377.attach

7378.attach

Great work. I like the cat tails and may have to give that a try.I like the mixing of the manufactured look of the wheel and the organic look of the cattails. I would never have thought of doing that. The more I read here the more I realize I don't think of much. Oh well just means I have more to learn and more excuse to forge. The wife ain't gonna be happy:D

I like it john. I like the balance you struck between the straight geometric spokes and the more fluid lines of the cat tails.

Reading your sign off under the pic of you standing there with your hand in your pocket was good for a smile too. :rolleyes:

Frosty

Thanks for the replies and I'm glad you like it.
Phil, it weighs approximately 250 lbs.
Frosty, hadn't thought about that when my bride took the picture:)
As far as the design goes I'm proof that even a blind hog can find an acorn once in awhile.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the replies

John

John, I had an absolute blast! I've been trying to figure out a way to get back up there as soon as possible. The next time, I'll be able to devote whole days to following you around the shop and becoming more and more jealous of your shop. And yes, I have a severe case of Big Blu fever! I wonder if I could sell one of my kidneys to get one of those....;)