Awrksmokey

Issues with this plan?

Hello, my parents are renovating the garage and they have agreed to build out a 7x12 foot extension on the side for me to build a shop! There would be a wall between the shop area and the garage area. I’ve started to draw and plan out what the shop would look like. I have this drawing so far. Are there any major issues i’ve missed? I currently have a propane forge but i’m thinking of switching to anthracite. Tell me if you can’t read something, my handwriting is pretty bad. Thanks!

edit: the floor will probably be concrete or dirt

image.jpg

Put the forge next to the door so it can be rolled outside when in use.  You avoid the fumes and can work in the daylight.

Vise on the welding table should be next to the anvil  because that is where it will be used the most. 

If you can put the grinder table on wheels, you can move it to the door area or outside and reduce the grinding dust as well as work in the daylight.

Draw up a 7 x 12 foot area in the yard and get cardboard boxes about the right size to represent the tools and tables. Work with (inside) that set up a while to see if anything needs repositioned.  You can cut long stock into 10 foot sections, but can you use a 10 foot section in a 7 foot width building?  No.  You will either have to utilize the door and put part of it outside in order to cut it into a long length you can use or a length needed for the project.  You can hang 10 foot sections on a wall or from the ceiling for storage, IF they are strong enough to hold the weight.  

Thanks for the advice! I drew up a revised plan, hopefully with everything fixed. The vise will be portable so the idea is that i would cut up bigger stock outside, and then work with it indoors. I can probably also make the grinder have wheels so i can bring it outside if need be. 

IMG_3081.jpeg

Yeah, that looks better. It's hard to beat having a vise solidly mounted to a bench. If you put it close to the door and make a helper for outside you'll be able to cut any lengths from a 20' stick. By "helper" I mean a stand the same height as the vise, you can store it out of the way but it's hard to beat a good helper. 

Unless I have lots of room I like shelves and storage on a short wall away from my general work space. 7' is pretty narrow already, you don't want to thin it down more do you? Taking 2' off 12' isn't so painful or limiting.

I try to never put the forge in a corner, it makes it too hard to heat away from the ends of longer pieces. However, if the forge is in front of the door or you make a pass through next to it corners aren't a problem.

It's going to be a nice shop. Too small of course all our shops are too small, mine is 30' x 40' and was getting crowded before the roof was on.  give yourself plenty of outlets and lights. You can always turn lights off if you wand it dim but you can't make it brighter than you have lights for. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm thinking of making one of those adjustable height helpers, I've been needing one for a while. I'll move the shelves to the back for sure, hopefully I'll be able to keep that wall nice and neat. I'll probably be able to move forge away from the corner to be able to use the back space. Thank you for the advice! I will be sure to put LOTS of lights in there. I'm pretty psyched about getting my own space!

Remember one thing, we're just making suggestions this is going to be your shop. Don't think you should do anything we think of as good, what works for me may not work for you. If you don't like how one of our suggestions work don't be shy tell us why, you won't hurt out feelings and we get to learn something. Yes?

The ONLY time I'd like to see you just take our word for it is if it's a safety issue. Double check do some research but we aren't going to steer you wrong on safety. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Join the club little Brother. Try and see and failure analysis is the name of the game. Part of making failure analysis work for you is your notebook and sketch pad. Just because what you tried this time was an abysmal failure doesn't mean it won't be the golden key for another project. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Have you laid it out on the ground and checked if those positionings will actually work?   Can you put rolling barn doors along the side to gain space ventilation during the summer?

We really need to know what you plan to forge to guess if that set up will work---bottle openers and key rings take a lot less space than garden gates and chandeliers!