I Forge Iron

Found "my" Tombstone Welder !

Chris C

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Chris C said:

But I want to try some 7018 and don't have any in this bucket.  I'll be buying just a small amount.  Home Depot carries Forney.  Is that a decent brand?

Regular 7018 rod is a challenge on an AC only buzz box. (it likes DC reverse polarity IIRC)  However, I have used a decent amount of Forney 7018AC rod and have found it to be a pleasure to use.  One of the things I like about it is I have much lower frequency of blowing holes through relatively thin stock compared to using 6011 or 6013.  YMMV.

Thanks, Buzzkill.  As I mentioned in my post just before yours, I meant 7014, not 7018. I've read it pretty "forgiving" and helps a novice put down a pretty decent bead.  I went to Home Depot today to pick up some Forney 7014 and could only find 6011, 6013 and 7018...............all in Lincoln rods.   Didn't see any 7018AC, though.  Also went by Lowes and they didn't have it either.  Guess I'll keep looking.

Don't you have a welding supply close?

E60 series rods tend to be deep penetrators with not so pretty beads, it's a fast freeze rod to fill and hold it's position quickly so it doesn't stay molten long enough to smooth out like 70 series rods. 

I used a lot of 6011 for field repairs and hard to clean spots on the drill rigs, it's not too fussy about clean stock: rust, grease, water, paint, etc. won't stop it from penetrating and making a reasonably sound weld. A temporary field weld that is, whenever possible I ground them out and did a shop weld later.

Talk to the guys at the WELDING SUPPLY SHOP they tend to know a LOT more about welding, rods, applications, etc. than the guy at Home Depot. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Some have free shipping, and depending on where you live the taxes might be less than a local supplier. Depending on how closely you want to watch the pennies you can also factor in the cost of gas to drive to get them and your time as well.

If you have a local welding supply shop they can probably get what you want in a fairly short period of time if they don't have it on the shelf.

I see Frosty was replying while I was typing....

Yup, Frosty, I've got a good friend who owns a welding supply.  Basically what I'm hoping to weld is things like hammer and tong racks, etc.  Nothing fancy..........but I would like to learn how to weld nice enough beads so I don't have to hide everything I've made when someone who can weld sees them. :lol:  I've my pride to consider, after all!!!!!

I've always considered time spent talking with the welding shop folks to be a profit center not a cost!  Living rural near a small town I have found that the relationships you build are worth a heck of a lot more than the extra money it costs buying local rather than on-line or big box store.  I've had tires fixed on Sundays, bought propane at the cheaper fill rate on Saturdays and when I did live in the city and needed a LOT of welding gas, the welding shop didn't charge me rental on the big tanks, just charged for the gas I used---(bought 10000 pounds of real wrought iron plate from a demolition company and had to cut it and remove it. It was the old water tower from the *old* Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus.)

Such discussions have often led to me finding blacksmithing stuff locally on the cheap. (Welding and hardware stores with old folks still running the counter can be a goldmine!)

Absolutely, it's crazy to NOT buddy up with folk who know or have what you need. I'm on "drop by and shoot the breeze" status with the HVAC supply and service outlet up our road and close with the guys at 2 of the three welding/steel suppliers in the valley. On more than one occasion guys at the welding supply have taken me into the back room and shown me how to run a particular rod and let me try rods to help choose. 

I've given blacksmithing instruction to two of the guy's little brothers gratis and offered to one and all.

Money in the bank.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, the guy who owns the welding supply is a blacksmith and member of our group, so not much I can do for him in that area.  He's not interested in wood carving, so can't help him there.  Only thing I have to offer is money...............of which I have ver-r-r-r-ry little. :lol:  I'll stop by his place next week and ask him opinion on rods.  The problem I have at his place is he's a supplier to professional welders and all his cans of rods almost look like 25 pound cans..............if there is such.  Doesn't have 5 and 10 pound boxes like the DIY centers.

No matter what your source for rods, new or used, run a half dozen of the rods on a similar piece of metal for practice, both for the metal and more importantly for the settings for the rods.  At that point you will have a much better idea of how things work and have a much better chance for a successful weld.

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Need to find a welder friend who does a lot of "Must open new can on site and discard all unused rod at finish" jobs.

Other than the welding supply shop, I don't know any welders.

I wrote down on a piece of note pad last night that I needed two pieces of expanded steel 20" x 72" for a utility trailer. (now that I have a welder)  Stopped by the scrap yard today and there, laying out in plain sight were two pieces of 18" x 72" expanded metal.  Figured that would do and brought it home for $8.60!!!  Plugged in the welder and welded it to my trailer sides.  Now I just need to get lucky and find one 20" x 48" for the front.  Oh..............the welds..............well, lets just say the sides are "stuck" to the trailer.   Beyond that I've nothing to say. :lol: 

Did some more "welding" on the trailer today.  I say "welding" with a huge tongue in my cheek because it's far from looking like welding.  I'm gettin' things stuck together and I'm not worried about them coming apart...............but it sure doesn't look nice.  (I thank the good Lord for my right angle grinder!) Two biggest problems is I can't see what I'm welding and I have a terrible time getting started because I stick the rod 4 or 5 times before I get to start welding a bead.  I tried to weld some angle iron brackets on my forge the other day and was welding merrily along when I realized I had welded too long a run.  Took off my helmet and not only was it twice the length of the bracket.........but it was a 1/2" away from the bracket! (did I mention I can't see?)   Mighty frustrating/embarrassing.  I understand the "scratch" thing, but it doesn't seem to arc every time I scratch...........it just sticks the rod to the surface.  I've got two helmets.  One has a #12 lens in it............that is a total waste of time for me to try and look through.  Brand new lens, so it's not dirty, splattered or any other problems.  The second helmet I seem to be able to at least see the arc and a small amount of the puddle.............but I can't see anything else.  Not sure what # lens is in it.  In fact, I can hardly see the joint I'm supposed to be welding.   One of the guys I met at the local welder's supply says he uses a #10 lens and can clearly see everything he's working on.  The auto lens I had that was malfunctioning had a #2.5-11 and I could see what I was doing with that one...............until it would turn off and "flash" me!  (Ouch!)  I've read everything I can online about arc welding..............and watched so many Youtube videos I'm sick of punching the start button.  Just can't figure out how to get started.

Rant over. :lol: Whew!

Chris

sounds like you probably using a 70 series rod  7018 maybe?  I weld with a # 10 for most things , I also wear prescription glasses under my hood.  Something you might want to try is Cheater lenses. They are basically like reading glasses but they fit in your welding hood. they are available in in several different strengths .  As far as your rod sticking you might be a little cold (not enough amperage) or it might be easier for you to start and practice some with a 60 series rod 6010 or 6013 maybe. They say that getting the arc started is like striking  a match (The wooden matches in the cardboard box)  you drag the rod against the steel until it lights so to speak.

You will get the hang of it   solve the seeing issue first though

David

You can buy cheaters at most welding supply shops if you don't or can't see with glasses on under your hood

Sounds like you're coming along nicely Chris. Been there done all that. You can't see much but the puddle and arc. When I first started I thought I should torch out a porcupine so all the rod I stuck would look like art. 

The second strike on a rod is a pain because slag is covering the end so you have to strike harder and tend to stick it more often. I kept a piece of brick close to tap the end of the rod and break the slag off before striking subsequent arcs. 

Ah! Of course, Old crew! I've forgotten so much, good to have a current pro on board! Chris you ARE describing 70 series beginner's issues! Ditto practice with e 60 rods. Most every welding supply I know of sells rod in 10lb. tubes. Price/lb. is higher but no sense buying 50lbs. when you only need a couple. Heck you can buy commercially packaged plastic bags with 5 rods ea. at the local Wasilla, Aire Liquide. When you just want to weld the handle on Great Grandma's old skillet paying $25 for 5 cast iron rods rather than a couple hundred for a can you'll never use is a sweet deal.

For now forget sticking anything together, just run beads on a piece of scrap. I forget what strength cheater lenses I have in my shields but couldn't run a bead without them. 

Frosty The Lucky.