I Forge Iron

Columbian

beef56

No, that spring is aftermarket, and if not completely useless, then pretty close. It is simple to whip out a proper spring from some flat stock- I've even done it cold. The other issue is the missing mounting bracket, that usually holds a spring in place as well as mounting to your stand. Again, mounting brackets are no major deal to cobble together- lotsa threads here on doing it.  The screw doesn't look to bad. If that is in good shape, I wouldnt pay more than $40- 45 for that vise as-is. Complete, $110 is in the upper reaches- where I would be selling it after a proper fixup.

Steve

I thought that was a bit steep too. I doubt the spring or the bracket would be terribly difficult to make but I shouldn't have to do that much work before I could use it. Unfortunately there just aren't that many available in my area. 

beef56

Go to Youtube and type a combination of two or more of the following keywords "post vise", "leg vise", "repair", "restoration", "spring". You will get tens of leg vices repair related videos. The jaws and screw seem to be OK and that is a very positive point.  About the price, yes too expensive, even for a place that lacks used tools for blacksmithing. I have to agree with Stash, wave in front of the guy 40 USD and pay no more then 50 USD. If you buy it, I suggest you make a traditional "leaf spring" used in these vices.

Good luck

I sold a 4" columbian, complete with mount and spring and with the stamping on the back of the stationary jaw clear and complete Saturday for US$100 here in New Mexico---also a tool poor place.

Please get a postvise before you damage your machinist vise. 

I really like using a 4# hammer to bend heavy strapping hot in my 6" postvise. I shudder to think what would happen with much of that on a machinist vise---though I will note that there were two pretty heavy machinist vises broken in the hoard I picked up.  At least on has a "blacksmith's repair" to it.

I looked at this vise today. It is good condition, jaws and screw. As wonkie as the coil spring looks , it does work. Contrary to the advise of those responding I paid $70. I live in a very rural area and I could drive hundreds of miles to farm auctions and not find one. It sounds like they will bring at least $100 on the auctions. I am sure this will work fine once I make a mounting bracket.

Thanks for all the good advise provided!

5 hours ago, beef56 said:

I looked at this vise today. It is good condition, jaws and screw. As wonkie as the coil spring looks , it does work. Contrary to the advise of those responding I paid $70. I live in a very rural area and I could drive hundreds of miles to farm auctions and not find one. It sounds like they will bring at least $100 on the auctions. I am sure this will work fine once I make a mounting bracket.

Thanks for all the good advise provided!

I have tried to edit this post. ADVICE not advise! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

the PAC NW area around Seattle is poor for these as well. $350-400 seems to be the range if "local". got on for just over $200 plus shipping that needed a spring and screw and nut. All easy to do so got it. I AM VERY PLEASED!!!!! 5" Colombian? dropped forged, manufacturer didn't even clean the arc splatter from the welding so assume Depression era. Will do a thread here when done with pics to help anybody thinking of fixing one up.