I Forge Iron

Hi from sw Oregon....

Cdfcal

My grandson is really interested in learning to make knives and hatchets, so I’m building a blacksmith shop for us to work in... I have already taken advantage of your forum as a visitor and have enjoyed many posts. I’m here to learn from the vast and varied knowledge in this site..... thanks for the opportunity....

Good Morning,

Welcome and good luck with your journey.

You are in the heart of North West Blacksmith Association. Their website is www.blacksmith.org  They have monthly get togethers at the Fairgrounds in Longview, Wa. There are quite a few VERY Talented individuals in the NWBA. They also have Wants and For Sales when they have an event at Longview. They had a HUGE Garage Sale in October.

There also is the California Blacksmith Association, a little south of you. You will find their contact info near the bottom of the main page of IFORGEIRON.

Have fun getting Hammered. Merry Almost!!

Neil

Strongly suggest you spend some time in other people's shops---especially ones that are doing the stuff you want to do---AND ASK THEM WHAT THEY WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY!

Whether it's the shop or the equipment in it we get a lot of folks here who build based on what they think would work; but with little experience to base their ideas on.  Often they want to know why they are having issues.  

I'd like to start teaching my Grandsons; but they just moved to Okinawa for 3-5 years. and their father didn't want to take an anvil back for each of them when we met up with him last night during a business trip back here. I offered! (Nothing over 200 pounds either!)

Cdfcal, welcome to the group, I’m new here also and highly recommend listening to the advice given by the talented and experienced smiths here, (as in the two previous posts) their words of advice, proper criticism/critic and taking their time to explain what to do to correct and improve my work has been instrumental in what I have accomplished in the last six months 

Welcome! I'm new as well and just moved to Vancouver WA from the Midwest. I used to just tinker/forge in my backyard but yard space is much more limited out here and I'm worried about annoying the neighbors. I am currently looking for shop space but I gotta say, everything is more expensive out here too!

Welcome aboard Cdfcal, glad to have you. That is going to be one tough web handle to keep straight, we might have to make up something more memorable for you.

Ditto Thomas, get hooked up with the NWBA, sure they meet monthly but members get together a whole lot more often than that.

Do you have an anvil yet? Did you  know dozers are made of anvils? Almost anywhere you look are multiple pieces that make dandy fine anvils, honest it's true.

Visit and use as many fellow's shops and gear as you can. Every hour working with an experienced smith is worth many times as much figuring it out yourself. Better, you'll get the feel of how guys arrange their kits so you can pick and choose what you like best. 

Of course once the Grandkids start working you'll get to tweak things to fit them. Lots of times.;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I know what you mean Thomas, we back up to USF’s, you can travel 40 miles as the crow flies on our land.....

Frosty, I have a chunk of iron off some type of equipment that I’m planning on using as an anvil... I’m planning on getting photos of my stuff with a description of my plans, then do a post to make sure my ideas are sound...

Post a couple pics of the dozer, we'll be happy to tell you what to unbolt. :)

The big secrets to setting up your first shop are: Don't be in a hurry, all rushing does is make mistakes permanent more quickly, Keep things mobile till you figure out what works for you. And, keep it simple.

The real necessities are: HOT fire, something to beat on and something to beat with. The rest are extras though a nice bench and a leg vise are SWEET additions. A roof is good too, REALLY good.

Frosty The Lucky.