I Forge Iron

M&H Armitage Mouse Hole. Top plate issues

I am in South Louisiana and I recently acquired an M&H Armitage Mouse Hole anvil. 1.3.10(206 lb).  I know its 1820-1835 due to the stamp.  It does have a pritchel hole(post 1830), however it may have been added. (Picture below).    Judging by the top plate this ole girl has seen some abuse.    There are no edges that are not chipped away or mushroomed over.  The anvil does have an average ring and the rebound is 50-75% ( better on the ends than over the center).  It is swaybacked about 1/8-3/16” in the center.   My question is.  Is this a good candidate for the Robb Gunther method of repair?   I have the pre/post heat capacity and the welder.  My thoughts are to chisel and grind away the cracked edges and mushrooming and then weld up.  I will attach picture links shortly. 

0F32C502-F499-495D-9E62-AD705A2A7B4A.jpeg

84A30747-A358-42FA-86E5-E3B7A07D8496.jpeg

3E069A23-1ABB-4E88-9C0A-31CB8E0D9E56.jpeg

B91C7AAF-1DC9-4AF8-9C71-07FF74E4B53F.jpeg

4BD22457-B806-433C-8735-24DE84780894.jpeg

S Louque, I wouldn’t do any repairs until I worked with it for a while. You can make a square block, with different radii, to drop in the hardie for when you need a good edge.  Are you member of LAMA? There will be a anvil repair event this Friday and Saturday, guests are welcome. PM me if you have questions. 

It's worth the try, but I am afraid that is not going to be easy. For what I can see, it seems someone had a go at welding the edges already, and the repair was soft and mushroomed. But I may be wrong. If I am right, you will need to grind out the soft weld before you use the correct rod. A tough call. 

Plate looks real thin in places too.  Yes it's a good candidate for repair but a MAJOR one.  I'd weld up the entire face to get a bit more thickness for the plate and hopefully help some of those cracks as well.  Does it still ring?  If not you may have some major delamination issues as well.

Definitely need industrial sized equipment to do a good job.   (I've been to an anvil repair day where they rebuilt an entire face for an anvil---the owner had had it milled down to useless back before he knew any better; took 5+ hours of a professional welder using industrial equipment to build it back.)

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet is *why* you are itching to repair it.  I know that seems like an odd question but a lot of people get a new anvil and the first thing they get the bug to do is a major repair...before they've even used it much.  The "why" is actually only because it looks like it needs repairs (usually):  It's not that it actually NEEDS repairs to be workable, it just LOOKS like it needs repairs based on comparing to a near-perfect anvil.  In short, cosmetic perception taints the decision making process.

This one isn't quite a basket case yet by the photos posted.  Save the repairs for the true basket cases.  Use this one like you stole it...and if it crumbles into a basket case, then think about that repair.  

The exception to this is when one has a couple of spare working anvils and the local club is going to do some fancy anvil repair workshops anyway---then it might be worth taking in one that isn't quite at that basket case level yet.

What you can’t see well in the pictures is the tiny cracks in what is left of the edge.   They were not visible until I used a pressure washer to clean off the dirt and grease that had built up on the anvil as it sat in the corner of a shop for the last 30 yrs.    The anvil does still ring so I do not think I have any de-lamination of the plate, except on the very edges where it is severely mushroomed over and cracking.   After the advice from this forum, my plan is to just use the center of the face and make a block or two that I can mount in the hardy hole anytime I need an edge.     There is a local repair event this week that I will try and bring the anvil to.  That way some of the veterans can put there own eyes on it and point me in the right direction.