I Forge Iron

Ammo Can Forge

RichHallstrom

1 hour ago, Caleb Mulder said:

I'm planning on making the ammo can forge; it seems the simplest to me.  I'm going to use a Ron Riel EZ-burner as I don't currently have a forge.  I don't know where I would find 1" firebricks, I was wondering if I could cut a 2.5" one in half.  I also read what Frosty said on another thread and I'm wondering if adding a high alumina kiln shelf on top of the firebrick would be a good idea.  Also would I need a smaller forge with the diminished power of the EZ-Burner? And what type of Kaowool was that on the Flickr pictures 1" or 2"?  I'm planning on forging knives and possibly machetes.  Any other advice would be appreciated.  

Thanks

Caleb

Actually just looked at the "Oliver-upwind". I like the idea a lot but not the idea of buying a 40lb tank.  Would I still have that problem with the EZ-burner?

Caleb, I'm no gas forge guy but I think there are plenty of options for making a forge beside the ioptions you mentioned.  There is almost always a cheap way to get the outer structure for a gas forge.   Just use your imagination, not your wallet.  The people in this thread will know a lot more about the dimensions of the forge and the viability of the burner.

I would suggest you put your location in your profile so people can give more specific advice...and some members may be right near you.  I feel certain that people here will all point you to Wayne Coe's website.  He has directions for building forges and sells the supplies...he is also a very highly regarded member of these forums.  If you use his stuff you can get personalized support from the supplier right here.  But he will give you the same support even if you don't use his stuff.  Search for his name on google..maybe add "artist blacksmith" if you have trouble.  

Lou

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah i have done some research and this seems good. unfortunately i have to stay cheap.  i got a line on reasonable kaowool and kiln shelves and all that, i got some refractory cement.  im planning on following the ammo can design but just making an identical box out of sheet metal.  

i got some refractory cement. 

Please remember that refractory cement and hard-face refractory are not the same thing. The cement is typically for making things with firebrick, but usually isn't strong enough to hold up for long on its own. If you have more details (manufacturer, product name, etc), folks here can give you better information.

im planning on following the ammo can design but just making an identical box out of sheet metal.

If you've got sheet metal and can design & build anything you want, think seriously about a forge with a round or oval cross-section. The gas forge folks here will be able to help you more with this, but as I understand it, anyway, a rounded interior reflects more infrared towards the center, which gives you more efficient heating of steel in a blade. The ammo can forge is a great idea for using what you have, but don't get stuck on one idea if you have the flexibility to do something better -- even if that original idea seems really cool.

oh i didnt know.  the "stove and furnace refractory cement" is CPD (construction product distribution services) brand and seems to be for building with firebricks as you said

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

Please remember that refractory cement and hard-face refractory are not the same thing. The cement is typically for making things with firebrick, but usually isn't strong enough to hold up for long on its own. If you have more details (manufacturer, product name, etc), folks here can give you better information

i was just going with the ammo can because it was simple.  if something likr a stove pipe would be better then i'll consider that.  

thanks

caleb

• 5 months later...

Will something like this be able to get a 3/8 by 3 inch leaf spring to a welding heat?  (I have no experience with propane as of yet) and I can't see tell the colours by pictures.  

Pretty flare too!

also do you have sealant of some kind on that kaowool????

My plan is to follow solvarr's design with a 3/4". T- burner and maybe a kiln shelf over the bricks.  Is there any alternative to satanitr?