I Forge Iron

Anvil Question

Hi everyone. I'm a beginner and have acquired an anvil. I will try to post some pictures after I get home this evening. The anvil is in decent shape, but I have an issue. The hardy hole looks like it wasn't finished. On the top, there is a square indention outlined where the hole should be, and if you look under the bottom side, the hardy hole is there, just not all the way through. My question is, I want to open it up without absolutely destroying a nice anvil. Has anyone ever came across this, and what are my options? First pot, by the way. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

Regarding your question, we do need photos to give accurate advice. The hole may have something jammed in it, or it may be something else. Good, clear photos with something to give a sense of scale (like a quarter on the anvil face) would be helpful.

Most anvils have only a hardened top, so if the sq part is already through that then the lower sections will be easier to work.  Several people here have re-worked their hardy holes and may chime in when we can see the pictures.  Any idea as to the anvils maker or general age? (Or country of origin?)

This is not the best pic, but it's all I have on my phone. I'll take a closer one when I get home this evening and post. This anvil was gifted to me by an older gentleman along with three pair of tongs. He mounted it on a wheel drum, sitting on a piece of what he called "railroad rubber". He is now deceased, so I cannot question him. There are some weight markings on the other side, but the only marking I could find is the letter I highlighted with soapstone. If you look close, you can almost see the markings where the hardy hole should be. He obviously did a little painting on it, and I will clean that off tonight as well. I have no idea about it, and any info, points, and help is appreciated. 

IMG_7869.JPG

Interesting. Has the overall lines of a Mousehole (AKA The Undisputed King of Anvils), but might have been made by someone who trained at that shop before setting off on their own. No pritchell hole, which would make it pre-1830 (if it is a MH); is there any trace of one on the underside?

I plan to take it off the stand today and flip it over. There is no sign at all of a pritchell on the underside. Just the hardy hole. The marks are indentations, like it needs to be "knocked out'. But the underside has a nice, square hole going up over halfway through the anvil. It looks original, and I have seen no signs of any modifications to it.

i am sure you can clear the hardy hole easy. To me it seems someone prefered to have a flat surface rather than having the hole 'in the way' and so filled it in. 

Just make sure the edge of the plug is not welded to the face or you could damage it by trying to hammer it out. 

i would first tap the plug down to make sure it is only jammed in and not welded. 

What is the weight of the anvil?

The stand will not win any beauty contest but seems solid. 

In general the older anvils had their hardy holes hot punched and drifted and from the top down.  So if there is a square hole on the bottom then there is something jammed in there. Removal may include drilling and chiseling. 

Can we see the weight stampings to see if they are CWT form? When it's off the stand could you weigh it on a bathroom scale too?  Pretty Please!

Looks like a good anvil and you are lucky to get it the way you did!

You guys are a wealth of good knowledge. Thanks. I will certainly try to get a picture of the weight markings , but I have to get it off that stand first.I'll scale it, too. I am sure by looking at it he never intended for it to be removed. I will definitely measure it before I go to doing any work on it. I was just scared of messing it up. Sometimes it's easier to learn from someone else's mistake. I was a tool and die maker for 11 years before my current career, and this blacksmithing thing is a foreign concept to me. I've been reading on here for a while now, but this is the first question I couldn't find an answer with the search feature. I tried it out the other day making a few S hooks with a dirt box forge I put together. I'm hooked now.

Ok guys, I removed the anvil and cleaned it up. Used a long punch and knocked it out. Turns out someone plugged it up years ago. It has a "w" mark on the side, and the weight markings are 0 3 10. I put it on a bathroom scale and it weighed in at 91 lbs. I took a few more pics to boot. Thanks for the help.
IMG_7889.thumb.JPG.93bb77c39806e3d41c4b0e7f5ecc4767.JPG

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7893.JPG

new.thumb.jpg.a68b61159f597dbf107f0dba38703655.jpg

IMG_7887.thumb.JPG.29c35bf18869c8d3e0e646c31e42699f.JPG

IMG_7888.JPG

Excellent. Definitely not a Mousehole, but clearly English. Use it in good health. 

Are the tongs in good shape? People starting out tend to obsess about hammers, anvils, and forges, but if you can’t hold it, you can’t hit it.

1 hour ago, regularjoe said:

I can tell these were made by someone, not purchased.

Welcome aboard Regularjoe, I see the guys have gotten you working on the missing hardy  hole. I wasn't going to say anything till I had something to contribute but I just couldn't pass on the above sentence of yours. I'd like to ask where purchased anvils come from, the Stork, maybe a magic cabbage patch? :rolleyes:

Just joshing with you Joe, we know what you meant but I do so LOVE a straight line. Thanks , that was a doozy.

Frosty The Lucky.

I was thinking that was about the tongs; but ALL tongs are made by someone; commercial tongs often were made in factories by smiths even back in the old days! Nowadays they are probably drop forged with a person taking the hot stock out of the furnace and running it through the drop forge die(s).

"Hand Forged" and "made in a factory" do not necessarily make an oxymoron!

Frankly I was so taken by your delicious straight line I missed the part about "purchased" and it's potentials. At least living in the woods with a few dogs I can offer a lead bonus for folks attempting to not purchase our things. 

How about GPS chipping Wile E Coyote and following him around with a pick up truck? At a safe distance of course, maybe even bring a bicycle pump to rejuvenate him for his next venture.

Frosty The Lucky.