I Forge Iron

Rye Oil Quenching Oil

Does anyone have experience using Rye Oil Quenching Oil?

I can get this stuff for around 25 $ per gallon and it seems to be the easiest one I can obtain.

It's written on the site:

Rye Oil 32: As alternative again to Parks AAA Quenching oil, this is a medium to medium/fast quenching oil, it's the industrial choice of heat treaters for O1 (1.2510) tool steel. It works well with steels such as O1, O7, 8670, 1080 and 80CrV2.

Rye Oil 50: An alternative to the famous Parks #50 this is a low viscosity oil that approaches water in speed but it has a more uniform, less severe quench minimising the risk of cracking! It works great with steels such as 1095 and Silver Steel (1.2210). It also does not need pre-heating.

Also, I never used quenching oils, just canola. How many quenches can I do before I need to change the oil?

Mr. Sells,

Has posted,  "... I never wore any oils out …".

In practice you are correct,  for the most part. But most oils, be they  petroleum based or plant derived, can be oxidized by bacteria. (air loving (aerobic), or less commonly, anaerobic. (living without air

Oxidized oils are described as being rancid.

Those bugs break down the oils into simpler compounds such as ketones a, aldehydes, etc. Those resultant chemicals,  usually,  have an off odor and taste, which is readily apparent. Especially rancid fats.

Storing the quench oil out of the air, light, and warmth will slow down the chemical transformation.

As you have indicated, oil rancidity is not very common,  in the smithy, . Especially those situated in non tropical climates.

What is "rye oil". Is it a trade name, or is it a product made from rye grass?

I looked it up and a quick search did not find any information.

SLAG,  

Here;   signing off.

I have used rye oil 50, they have no spec as to the cooling characteristics of the oil. I asked and they had no info..I bought some anyway and its not as fast as parks 50 and definitely not a comparable oil. the other fast UK available oil I have used is the Exel fast oil which is fast ish , faster than rye 50 .....

I am not convinced by the rye oil. I think you would be better with Canola (which I also use) or a HT oil that has actively been developed for heat treating.

what is wrong with the moderators here ? someone is looking for a supply of oil? how the xxxx are they supposed to find it if you remove links. I persevere with a presence here because I have a strong passion for the craft and feel like there should be at least a few professionals to offer advise amidst all the noise, most of them left a long time ago..... but  xxxx its hard work.

Moderators just removed the commercial link per TOS.

A quick google search for fast, standard, and marquenching oil. rape seed oil (canola oil), Exel fast oil, rye 50 etc should list sources in YOUR area. Contact them for specific information as to availability, use, and price.  A google search for quenching oils or fluids may also be helpful.