I Forge Iron

what to do..

with a bunch of barb wire? what could i do with this stuff other then bury it in the stone fence line. its not rusty stuff that will break like nothing, but we do need it for fencing, and i cant think of an idea of how anything could be made with it.
any help please

I've seen wreaths made of coiled barbed wire. Then dipped in/sprayed with salt solution to hasten the rust process. They are then left out in the weather for a while. Then, little trinkets are attached such as old horseshoes, bits, spurs, etc. for a "western" flair. Said to be a good seller at craft fairs, shows, etc.

They'd make nice bouganvillea branches as well.

Bougenvillia Photo

Bougainvillea blossom stock photo

The second shot shows the thorns pretty well. As a kid we had one growing outside the kitchen window and the sprinkler facets were under it. The thorns in the pictures are the ittsy bittsy ones at the ends of the branches. The ones on the main trunk would qualify as deadly weapons anywhere but on a flowering shrub.

Frosty

I've seen a lot of art work and such that uses barbed wire, if you have a place for it I would advise holding onto it, it is rapidly becoming less comon and I believe it has even been banned in some areas of the country.

welder19

thanks for the ideas, the best i could come up with was wrap around handles for something, see the problems that would make?
we don't use barb wire fencing, have sheep so electric is 70x more effective.

At one of the first hammer-ins I went to, in Weaverville, CA, Dave Atwood was officiating the demonstrations. He announced the next demo in 20 minutes, and whilst folks were gathering up, he took a big hank of baling wire, like 40-50 pieces 4 foot long, convinced one end of the mess to sort of bundle up and stuck said end in the big forge. Slow fire, no flux, pulled it out and forged an eagle head out of the end, arranged the other ends (individual pieces) into a spread-out fan shape, showed it to the crowd, and tossed it on the floor just in time for the scheduled demo guy to go on. I felt bad for that guy, I have no clue what he did, but I remember about 30 folks walking over and gawking over the baling wire eagle.