I Forge Iron

Something wrong with this ceramic insulation?

2 hours ago, Whiskeymike said:

Am I missing something here?  1”x24”25’ for a $100 including shipping?   Too good to be true?

Not really, unless you're trying to buy it a couple feet at a time it's not that expensive. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank goodness, as I bought it last night.  It was just half the price of everyone else I found and usually that spells too good to be true and it ends up being made out of tissue paper that burns my shop down.  :)   I ended up getting a $10 ebay coupon, so it came out to $90 to my door.

I'm still in that earlier stage where I've read a ton of stuff, but only a 1/5th makes sense because I haven't done enough or it hasn't soaked in.   I bought fumed silica last night and researched it for 30 minutes trying to figure out which one was the desired one - hydrophobic or hydrophilic.  Something all of the experienced guys know from experience.  

Thanks guys

Everyone makes mistakes the first time. It's what makes this forum great. There's no pointing and giggling when someone (like me) confesses to wasting time and money on things. It just doesn't work out sometimes.

Hydrophilic is the fumed silica you want. Remember to spray water on the wool BEFORE the rigidizier so it can penetrate better.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, Whiskeymike said:

hydrophobic or hydrophilic.  Something all of the experienced guys know from experience.  

Not really, rigidizing ceramic wool refractory is relatively new to the craft, I think Mike was one of the early proponents but I may be wrong. Dan Roblatts and Latticino were talking about fumed silica for more than just rigidizing for some time now. Knowing what the parts of the names mean can help if you're trying to figure things out, I recall some of us old pharts bouncing what means what back and forth on this very topic. 

Phobic means fear or hates. Philic means like or loves. Hydro means water. If you're mixing something with water you want it to like water, not hate it. Yes? We discussed what to use for an embarrassingly long time before the obvious was brought to our attention.

The craft is ever evolving, the learning curve is endless, it only levels out a little the more you learn it doesn't stop. So, don't think you're the only one scratching your head or feeling like an idiot for not seeing the obvious, we all do that.

Well, we do get together, make jokes and giggle at some of the silly mistakes and stuff that gets asked Max. Usually on the side and we're usually laughing and pointing fingers at each other. Non-curmudgeons need not apply. :rolleyes: Really guys, it's only worth a good belly laugh and lasting mockery when the mistake is made by someone who should darned well know better. We can be merciless on each other, it makes lessons stick better if you can hear guys laughing in your memory.

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah Frosty, I know about the mockery and good natured "abuse"... But there's a lot of forums that will ridicule and hound someone for honestly not knowing an answer, or doing something other than the "established way" or the way they think it should have been done.

Here it's all in the effort of marching forward. Nobody here thinks of themselves as high and mighty, and so far it looks like even there advanced Crafters remember their early projects.

I enjoy it here, even if I don't understand half of the conversations.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:45 AM, MaxwellB said:

But there's a lot of forums that will ridicule and hound someone for honestly not knowing an answer, or doing something other than the "established way" or the way they think it should have been done.

Yeah, it's the Yellow Monkey effect. Strangers are a threat so attack anything strange, it's instinctive and hard to unlearn. 

I've seen it go on for days over an unacceptable word. Don't cross the group think!!  That site's almost entirely gone to FB though it's still up with occasional emails. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I think one of the best things I've seen here is the willingness to post mistakes, flaws, imperfect items, etc. all without the fear of that BS that others throw around. I recommend this place to everyone I come across who needs info because I know they'll get what they need AND they won't be branded a newb or a moron or anything along those lines.

11 hours ago, SLAG said:

Ridicule is for bullies or folks with weak ego's. Expertise speaks for itself, &/or,  is self evident.

I agree but the sad thing is I love the majority of the folk I've all but lost my stomach for talking to and they are for the most part highly successful artists. But touch on a subject they have an opinion about whether you agree or not they'll dog pile you. It's crazy.

3 hours ago, MaxwellB said:

they won't be branded a newb or a moron or anything along those lines.

Ayup, that's because there are rules here and they're enforced. No fighting, no cussing, no name calling, no religion or politics. For the most part these are poison topics in public and any online group that allows them goes down in flame wars or just fades as members drift off. 

There's a difference between arguing a topic and fighting about it. We argue all the time, it's just polite, (mostly) one member states an opinion, position, whatever and the evidence to back it. Someone else challenges or disagrees, and presents evidence to back it. And it's ON! Point, counterpoint, challenges, evidence defense evidence, witnesses, go the forges for trials.  It can turn right into a free for all then someone will crack a joke and it's joke round Robbin time, till something new to argue comes up. 

I cherish having my mistakes pointed out to me, I'd rather BE right than THINK I'm right and just because you've been right about a thing for 40 years doesn't mean you are today. I love a learning curve and iron is endless, no matter which way you look knowledge curves up. Here I'm surrounded by metal heads. What could be better? Well, okay if I woke up tomorrow to someone offloading a Nazel 2b and preparing to set it up in the shop the tears of joy would be running down both legs I'd be so happy. Trade it for you cat herd of characters? Don't think so.

Frosty The Lucky.