I Forge Iron

Stump Anvil?

Welcome aboard Cammie, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

You've got me on that one. My first thought was some sort of pintle  but the drive point isn't long enough to be very secure and  the size of the round section makes me think it'd be a large hinge. Makes that first impression doubtful in my mind. 

I'm thinking it could be used as a stake anvil but again we get to that relatively short but wide spike. I'm thinking it'd want to work loose pretty easily in use. 

I have no idea what it was made for. Anybody?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Folks, thanks for the info. I'm in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. It's about 18" long and weighs over 60lbs. It's got hammer marks on the top. It came out of a barn on my wife's uncle croft along with a large anvil and a small anvil. He was a bit of a hoarder. 

IMG_20190511_162309597.jpg

IMG_20190511_162253809.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

But those bevels on the shaft would be "off" for a postvise. I guess they could be a retrofit too. OTOH the hole looks too round as well as all the postvises I have seen have a rather oval hole to keep the screwbox from rotating in it. I'd like to see a picture of the "back" showing the bolt head and any other details.