I Forge Iron

G'day from Down Under

Hefty

G'day everyone, 

My name's Jono and I'm from Brisbane in Queensland, Australia. I'll be honest and say I initially came to IFI as one of those needy, greedy users who just get what they need and go. I was looking for some info on gas forge burners for knife making. 

But, I found such a wealth of information and such welcoming members that I decided to stay and learn. I'm a member of a lot of different forums for different subjects and I've found you can tell pretty easily when a forum is a genuine community, and I've found that pretty quickly here. 

I've noted some of the advice on here and stepped back from knife making to start with the basics of blacksmithing first (well,  maybe at the same time!) so I've studied as many JABOD threads as I can and Friday afternoon and yesterday I finally made and started using mine! I'm loving it but I'll start a separate thread to share photos and ask some advice.

I'm sure I'll have heaps of noob questions in the next little while!

Cheers, 

Jono

G'day fellow Australian, and a Queenslander at that! You will find this site extremely helpful, as I have over a few years now. I'm a couple of thousand km north of you and there are not many blacksmiths up this way, so I depend a lot on the knowledge found here. Good luck with your knife making and post pictures of your progress. We like pictures!

Hello Hefty,

Greetings and welcome to I.F.I.

You can find answers to many of your questions by searching in this site.

The search function,  on this site,  sucks lemons. Indeed many lemons. A truckload of lemons.

So,    use your favorite search engine and put   'I forge iron'  in the search bar as well as what you want to search.

For example,   "I forge iron plus,  e.g.,   "frosty t burner".

Also, someone around here will suggest that you look up the file called "read this first". 

(I do not where it is.)

Have a look at that file.

If you do some initial research, your subsequent questions will become more specific, focused  and you'll get good answers from the more experienced members, here

They are doing it for NO compensation. They are trying to be helpful. So help them.

Regards,

SLAG.