I Forge Iron

Intro with some of my knives

dirt7

Howdy! I am still fairly new to blacksmithing and bladesmithing, it has always been something of interest and I got serious about it over the last 6 months or so. My setup is fairly simple, an Atlas forge with a 3' section of RR track I mounted to a large stump (Hello back pain getting that in my trunk) but I really enjoy this as a hobby. I am very interested in primitive styled knives, and using found materials (Antler, bone, various unknown steel and files) This has been a very informative forum and I want to stop lurking and start posting.

Chris from Maryland

20190225_163946.jpg

20190302_084816.jpg

FB_IMG_1552647462933.jpg

FB_IMG_1552647482276.jpg

I like your handles! 

If you had issues getting the stump in the pickup you probably need to work on a good set of ramps to roll it up on.  There is also a trick where you use a comealong to pull a strap that is fastened to the front of the bed, goes under the middle of the stump---stump on it's side of course; then over the top of the stump and to the comealong.  Should roll the stump for you as you take upcable on the comealong.

For some strange reason blacksmithing often involves moving heavy items, often by ourselves, and there is a lot of tribal wisdom about how to do it without damaging your back!

Wow I learned that one in the 1960's when I was just in double digits; I've used it to good effect from time to time---did a farmhouse fix to my eating chair with some baling wire, titebond II and a stick for the Spanish Windlass.  My wife complained about it at the time but now uses my chair when I'm not at home!

• 2 weeks later...