Sign in to follow this  
ausfire

twisting rebar

Rebar has a well-defined pattern and I wanted to know what would happen if it were twisted. As we are all aware it's not much use twisting round bar, but would rebar be any different? Wondering if anyone has managed to twist rebar in a way that makes interesting use of the pattern.

Here's what happened:

A tight twist, one direction. A bit of a mess:

retwist1.thumb.JPG.88b36b4c5b94044c077c257bfd0292a1.JPG

A light twist in a fullered section to define the twist. Ordinary.

retwist2.thumb.JPG.6f4103197dbe1bf809658175d27fd671.JPG

A long reverse twist. OK.

retwist3.thumb.JPG.1005c501603bd489dba3b07459b31b29.JPG

A squared section. Not much good as the twist loses the pattern on the steel. OK for contrast perhaps.

retwist4.thumb.JPG.f8ac971c2e65aef39603b0555bd2d04d.JPG

I like the tight twist and the reverse twist. Kinda cool, and could make for an interesting variation in a situation where one might be using rebar for the texture anyway. Thanks.

As rebar can have differing textures choosing the one that looks best twisted may be part of starting a project.

Thomas: Yes, some textures are not distinct enough for twisting. I chose this one because there was a sort of filleted look to the pattern (see left of Pic 1) and also two very strong opposing lines which could give a rope effect.

It's sometimes good to add a twist to a long poker to add some interest to the long shaft, but after these trials, I am leaning towards the idea of leaving the pattern as it is.

(Das, I had to look up H.R. Giger art. Wow! What's that guy on?)

I don't know but he makes some wild art. Back when I was attempting to be a guitarist, I purchased an Ibanez guitar that he designed the artwork on. It was really industrial looking. It's stored up in my attic and I've moved on from trying to make music. I'm honestly better at bashing and welding up metal than playing it on guitar. 

I wanted to add that you can get a nice look from rebar if you first forge it square. Then you can use it as is, or twist it.

Adjusting the cross section of a piece before twisting can result in a large number or interesting twists.  I've seen a set of dies that turns round stock into fake rope after use and twisting.  Saw a glass table at Q-S that looked like it was supported with a steel Lasso done that way