I Forge Iron

twisting rebar

ausfire

Rebar has a well-defined pattern and I wanted to know what would happen if it were twisted. As we are all aware it's not much use twisting round bar, but would rebar be any different? Wondering if anyone has managed to twist rebar in a way that makes interesting use of the pattern.

Here's what happened:

A tight twist, one direction. A bit of a mess:

retwist1.thumb.JPG.88b36b4c5b94044c077c257bfd0292a1.JPG

A light twist in a fullered section to define the twist. Ordinary.

retwist2.thumb.JPG.6f4103197dbe1bf809658175d27fd671.JPG

A long reverse twist. OK.

retwist3.thumb.JPG.1005c501603bd489dba3b07459b31b29.JPG

A squared section. Not much good as the twist loses the pattern on the steel. OK for contrast perhaps.

retwist4.thumb.JPG.f8ac971c2e65aef39603b0555bd2d04d.JPG

Thomas: Yes, some textures are not distinct enough for twisting. I chose this one because there was a sort of filleted look to the pattern (see left of Pic 1) and also two very strong opposing lines which could give a rope effect.

It's sometimes good to add a twist to a long poker to add some interest to the long shaft, but after these trials, I am leaning towards the idea of leaving the pattern as it is.

(Das, I had to look up H.R. Giger art. Wow! What's that guy on?)

I don't know but he makes some wild art. Back when I was attempting to be a guitarist, I purchased an Ibanez guitar that he designed the artwork on. It was really industrial looking. It's stored up in my attic and I've moved on from trying to make music. I'm honestly better at bashing and welding up metal than playing it on guitar. 

Adjusting the cross section of a piece before twisting can result in a large number or interesting twists.  I've seen a set of dies that turns round stock into fake rope after use and twisting.  Saw a glass table at Q-S that looked like it was supported with a steel Lasso done that way 

• 6 months later...

I don't usually put twists in rebar pokers, but this one wasn't too bad. The rebar had a strong rib line. Flattening out the pattern in between makes the rib stand out on the twist. Just adds a bit of decoration to a long poker or lifter.

re twist1.JPG

re twist2.JPG

Ausfire,

Being extremely new to beating hot steel, the majority of my projects have been with rebar.    I've made steak flippers, coal rakes and fire pit pokers.  They've all had twists and re-twists.  Everyone who's received one of my gifts has commented they couldn't figure out how I managed to put the "vine" on the item. :lol:  I know a lot of smiths turn their noses up at the thought of using rebar, but I think it adds a lot of character to what might otherwise be a mundane project.  I like your examples with the flattened areas.  Will emulate some of that in my future projects.  Looks really sharp.

Chris

Honestly can't comment on that, Das.  The only things (other than my Hot Cut Hardie) I've made at this point have been with rebar.  When I get my forge up and running, I'll be able to work out of my stock bin and plan on keeping square and round stock on hand.