I Forge Iron

Mud quenching?

Well I know of various examples of differential quenching: the "gunk" method or Weygers mentions quenching an edge in a melon (to match the blade curve!)  HOWEVER I would sure want to know if the alloy I was using supported that type of heat treat!   (Even 100+ year old blacksmithing books mentions trouble with "water line cracking" with a differential hardening...)

I also think he's a bit of a loon.

However, I've never tried a mud quench.  Do you think the guy would go edge to edge with one of his mud-quenched multi-fold 5160 blades against an oil quenched and properly tempered  5160 blade that has not been folded?  The proof of the pudding is in the eating.  Anyone confident in his technique/skills should have no issue going up against something he claims is inferior.

If a person is getting XYZ results and they are really getting the results  than I'm all for it..  If the guy is not getting the results than it would show rather quickly.. 

With metals there are temperatures that are within ranges, right.. I mean even the spec's will vary with a given temperature range,  Oil, water, brine, air, etc, etc.. 

Does it make sense.. No..  But sometimes a person finds something that works for him and off they go..  

I know that one of the japanese sword makers likes 0.60Carbon... so maybe this guys forge welding them get it to the carbon content that works for him.. 

1045 is a popular steel today for making hammers out of...  20 years ago 0.60-0.75 carbon is what I would have considered normal..  I don't know his methods or have seen his work..  Some pictures of his work maybe? 

He probably didn't understand what the technique of making a hamon meant. Maybe thin colloidal mud, say bentonite? It's not what he was talking about of course but it might be possible if it didn't bake a layer on the blade?  Probably not but . . .

9 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Next up from him. Quenching in pigeon droppings.

I've experienced things like picnics, etc. being quenched by pigeon droppings. I know I wouldn't want to be where I could collect enough fast enough to quench a blade. Oh WAIT! You're suggesting quenching HIM in pigeon droppings? Sort of poop quiz his knowledge?

Given a choice I'd go with Buzz's proofing the blade in pudding. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I know the historical method of filing the stock down and feeding the filings to birds and collecting and refining the poop. Generally believed nowadays to have been done to increase the phosphorus content.  Phosphorus is a harding element  somewhat like Carbon; however it's now considered a very bad contaminant due to it causing increased cold shortness.  

I'm getting the feeling that his info sources don't go much into why a process was used and so allow one to judge if it is still needed.